Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3406 smells different recently

tnc110 ยท 2017-08-13 18:16

Got a 3406 that i am starting to notice a different smell. Hard to describe...kinda like a chemical smell of sorts. Any ideas?

Replies23
  1. #1Truck Shop2017-08-13 20:54

    Coolant Truck Shop

  2. #2td15c2017-08-13 21:50

    Over charged battery's

  3. #3Shimmy12017-08-13 22:40

    Did you change oil recently? Different brand of oil? We run Rotella T, every time I change, I can smell it for the first week or so.

  4. #4DMiller2017-08-16 21:22

    Description would be nice to stop the guessing!!

  5. #5JPV2017-08-16 23:51

    Depending on the truck greasing the u joint on the tranny can sling excess grease on the exhaust, smells funny for a while when you pull a hill and get it hot. Hard to say what it really is!

  6. #6tnc1102017-08-17 09:30

    No recent oil change. I'm going to cut off battery switch and see if it is over charging. If timing changed, would that cause it? Its a harsh, causic smell.

  7. #7tnc1102017-08-17 11:45

    Like i said in the original post....kind of hard to describe. If it were s familiar smell i would know what the problem was.

  8. #8Delmer2017-08-17 11:51

    Where do you smell it? cab, exhaust, around then engine after it's shut off? kind of a nastier more smokey smoke from the exhaust?

  9. #9tnc1102017-08-17 14:14

    Seems as though i only smell it when stopped. When walking around the truck. I just stared to notice it. I need more time to nail it down.

  10. #10DMiller2017-08-17 20:37

    AC clutch cooking off? You said caustic odor, could it be more like a electrical odor?

  11. #11tnc1102017-08-18 08:38

    Yeah, could be. Never thought of that.

  12. #12Delmer2017-08-18 09:00

    Epoxy? Baked varnish? Burnt clutch should be recognizable.

  13. #13Bluox2017-08-18 11:35

    Maybe the local choke&puke changed their chili recipe. Bob

  14. #14DMiller2017-08-18 14:14

    Second option, what type of fan clutch on it? Air or viscous?

  15. #15tnc1102017-08-18 16:11

    Viscous

  16. #16DMiller2017-08-18 16:16

    Look for leaks, the fluid in those smells real weird when they leak, don't want to shoot a fan off.

  17. #17Shimmy12017-08-18 21:36

    Hub oil? Front wheel seal?

  18. #18rsherril2017-08-18 22:29

    The Nose Knows. Keep up on it. I'very caught some problems that way, but usually after it's too late. Good luck.

  19. #1992U 34062017-08-19 07:52

    Are you sure nobody left something like a nitrile or latex glove on an exhaust component somewhere? Seen that one before.

  20. #20DMiller2017-08-19 09:17

    I had not considered that! Been there done that!!

  21. #21DMiller2017-08-31 09:26

    What was the outcome?? Ever find it?

  22. #22tnc1102017-08-31 11:44

    I have not used the truck yet to see, probably next week or so

  23. #23tnc1102017-10-18 20:44

    Well, smell had gone away. I don't know if it is related, but truck was burning about a gallon of oil every 10 hours. I change oil, added some Lucas. One of the valve covers was a little loose and seeping oil, tightened it. Doesn't seem to be using oil now, but only 10 hours on it since oil change.