Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Axle brgs preload procedure for a meritor Rs 17144ncnn rear axle

bccat ยท 2017-08-13 15:09

Good day, I am working on meritor rear axle with a single axloc adjusting nut,with spacer or crush Sleeve,do l need new sleeves,and what is the process to achieve proper brgs preload. Thanks in advance for your time. . Ken

Replies20
  1. #1Delmer2017-08-13 18:34

    http://www.timken.com/pdf/10410_Manual Wheel Bearing Adj Procedures Sell Sheet.pdf Does this help?

  2. #2Tenwheeler2017-08-13 20:23

    Delmer plus 1 on that information! Timken should know best but this has questionable information to me. They give the same information for axles with single and double nuts. From experience with dial indicators checking wheel bearings the second nut, jam nut, will remove clearance when tightened. Proper adjustment cannot be achieved on both with the same procedure in my opinion. I am also curious about the recommended crush sleeve procedure. I throw them away and adjust them as I always have. I believe single nuts adjusted as double nuts are a little loose. This allows the harder bearings to hammer-spin and wear away the softer nut and axle material. Timken covered their base, did you check the end play with a dial indicator? Toss the sleeve and final torque of 30 Ft. Lb. while rotating the wheel works for me, drives and trailers only. if the lock won't go in back it off some.

  3. #3Truck Shop2017-08-13 20:53

    This is an area I don't advise I just say what we do in our shop. You can never obtain the correct preload on used bearings and still install the sleeve. We toss the sleeve on steer, tag/drop axle and drive axles and go back to the two nut and two locking washer set-up. We use 47697 and 35066 CR seals only. And reusing the original single locking nut can have a bad result IMO. I just run the inner nut down tight and back off a half turn then run it back down just till it stops on the bearing and install the locking washers and outer nut. I keep at least six complete sets of nuts and washers for drives and the same for steer/tag. We never have an issue with hot hubs or seals leaking prematurely doing it that way. We have 480 trailer seals, 192 drive seals and 192 steer tag seals to keep an eye on. Truck Shop

  4. #4Tenwheeler2017-08-13 21:34

    Thanks Truck Shop: Never spent any time reusing and checking adjustment with sleeves, just did not like them. I was through Walla Walla a while back, first and probably last time. Made a wrong turn after coffee stop and saw and older KW conventional at the Conico distributor. Good looking tandum straight truck. Parked off to the side and looked like body just removed. You might check it out if you are over that way.

  5. #5bccat2017-08-14 00:27

    Thanks fellas ,the wheel seals were leaking , only have 140,000 kicks on the truck, the lock nut came off with just the weight of my long handled 1/2 ratchet and 4" socket,you can see wear marks on the sleeve & brg # were wore off the inside . Brgs are shot as the locker engaged going downhill on a hair pin curve took out the splines on the axle, sent metal throughout the diff, driver didn't,t see the diff lock engaged red light,so he says.I haven,t worked on trucks this big,just f450 &550s so it's a bit of a learning curve with these 1 locknuts & sleeves , I really appreciate the knowledge, I am sort of retired, just helping a young fella out of a bad situation Ken

  6. #6Truck Shop2017-08-14 07:35

    This is the one your talking about. Truck Shop

  7. #7Muffler Bearing2017-08-14 14:22

    I don't want to stir the pot here, but that set of instructions are for standard bearings without the sleeve. Your bearing came loose because the last guy didn't torque it right. If you use the sleeve you torque it once to 250 ft lbs and do not back off. BCAT is that AXLOC the kind with a little toothed snap ring thing inside? That is a completely reusable nut, nothing is wearing out if you remove the lock, perform the torque and reinstall the lock. Same goes for the style that releases when the socket pulls in the tangs. With the failure you have the sleeve could have been damaged, but, under normal circumstances they are fully reusable. The problem comes from techs using the old torque procedure for these "One Shot" sleeved bearing hubs.

  8. #8bccat2017-08-14 18:51

    Yes it is the axloc with the spring locks, the axloc instructions says to 200 lbs torque, back off 1/2 turn, torque to 200, rotate wheel, torque to 200, back off 1/10 turn,then torque to 75 lbs, check endplay 001-.004. This is the first time the hubs have been apart. Found other problems today, removed third member found lots of damage, crown gear teeth chipped, axle splines chewed up, housing has damage, might have to get a whole rear end, lots of metal on magnets, and the brgs are pitted, so I think that's where the wear comes from, will get pics in a few days

  9. #9RZucker2017-08-14 19:07

    Hey, that looks like the old girl we had in Moses Lake before Conoco closed the terminal on us. It went to the local Conoco distributor and the new Peterbilt we had went to Salt Lake. I only drove the KW once on a local station drop. I think that was in '83. R.E Powell in Grandview undercut the Conoco company rates so badly that was the end for us.

  10. #10Truck Shop2017-08-14 20:45

    You are probably correct it wasn't torqued right. But as I have said on here before That is a setup for new bearings, when the bearings are reusable and you install the sleeve or spacer and torque it to 250 it will not account for the slight wear on inner race the outer race and rollers. All your doing is putting it back with the same slack it had and wasted a wheel seal. That Conmet nut, spacer, and bearing setup was machined to only account for new parts only. And i didn't say back off the single nut system, If you read what I wrote that's for the two nut {inner and outer nut system}. I have been to Stemco schools on those later no brain bearing set ups, And have argued it with their reps. The reason for these later systems for bearing preload and those very same reps admitted those came about because most mechanics don't know how to set preload and too many failures. In my 45 years I have never had a premature failure on wheel ends. And don't intend to. Truck Shop

  11. #11Tenwheeler2017-08-14 20:46

    Yes Sir that's the girl. Must have been a road tractor due to 1/4 fenders. Don't thank it had a plate on it and the frame struck me as a bit long for one. That was all out the right hand window and they were closed. Way to far from home for me anyway.

  12. #12Tenwheeler2017-08-14 21:37

    Thanks for the reply. You have reused these sleeves torqued as said many times? I have a bad taste for reusing sleeves from pinions and FE7 steer axles. Do steer axles torque the same?

  13. #13RZucker2017-08-14 21:59

    Nope, if it's the one I knew, it had a 4,000 gallon tank on it.

  14. #14Truck Shop2017-08-14 22:49

    The guy who owns it is Jake Brown, It's a 1972 with 335 and 5X4 he bought it in 1975 I believe. It was a tanker and note the sanders on it, don't see those any more. Truck Shop

  15. #15Tenwheeler2017-08-14 22:59

    Guess they were all the same colors. I thought the one I saw had some length to it.

  16. #16RZucker2017-08-14 23:05

    1972 with a 5x4 sounds right, But if he bought it in '75 it's not the same truck. But I think that was a standard truck for Conoco surface transport in the day and most were offered to the jobbers upon retirement.

  17. #17Tenwheeler2017-08-14 23:30

    Yes that's it and it has some length. With the shock arrangement it must have torsion bar suspension. The PTO shaft with pillow blocks on top of the cross members is very strange to me. Chain drive in the front? What are sanders? Help me out.

  18. #18RZucker2017-08-14 23:41

    The PTO shaft drove a Blackmer vane pump mounted on the rear of the frame behind the tank, used for offloading product into above ground tanks. usually no chain drive involved, just a few u-joints at gentle angles. The Ellstrom sanders are the boxes in front of the drive wheels, they would meter out coarse sand in the path of the drive tires when switched on.

  19. #19Muffler Bearing2017-08-15 14:32

    Back to the bearing thread, Truck Shop you do what works for you. Working for Freightliner I did most of my jobs under warranty, and if I tossed out piles of spacers and lock nuts without a really good explanation, my claim would be kicked back. So I've reused plenty of hardware and never had an issue.

  20. #20Truck Shop2017-08-15 20:26

    Working for a dealer I would expect that to happen. But if you noticed on my first reply I said { this is an area I don't give advise, But rather this is what we do in our shop}. So yes we do what works for us. Truck Shop