Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3406E Rear Main Seal Wear ring distorter tool

dieseldog5.9 ยท 2025-06-01 19:30

I have removed the rear main seal wear ring before by distorting it with a cold chisel, but recently saw a Cat distorter tool for a 3116 and looking for the part number for the larger 3406E engines.

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2025-06-01 19:42

    I looked up a 3406E at random (5EK-prefix) and it calls for a slide hammer. This procedure seems to apply to all 3406E. Is that what you were thinking of.?

  2. #2pittsburgh cat man2025-06-01 19:50

    5p7409 is the distorter but you will need the ring that fits in seal bore Nige it is to remove wear ring on crankshaft

  3. #3dieseldog5.92025-06-01 20:31

    I have a 5EK and a 6TS, Changing the front main now, but the tool works for both, gearing up for future endeavors. I found this for a Detroit.

  4. #4dieseldog5.92025-06-01 20:35

    Serial Number

  5. #5Nige2025-06-01 20:37

    I should have picked up on that. He's wanting to remove the sleeve, not the seal.

  6. #6Truck Shop2025-06-01 21:30

    For early style--later seal is unitized, uses same installation tools.