Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3508B Engine not working

Rozay · 2015-10-29 13:15

I recently installed a new battery for my cat 3508B engine, but for some reason its not working. Does anyone know what went wrong? Thanks!

Replies19
  1. #1lantraxco2015-10-29 13:19

    We're mechanics, not psychics..... pray tell elaborate?

  2. #2Nige2015-10-29 13:34

    Yeah, if we had crystal balls we'd all be sitting down very carefully........

  3. #3SidewinderGlenn2015-10-29 17:01

    I think the Doohicky is stuck ... or the whatchamacallit isn't making contact with the thingamajig.

  4. #4Former Wrench2015-10-29 18:11

    Either that or the enockulator is struck or it is low on nurrup.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2015-10-29 19:51

    I beg to differ fellas.. I'm pretty sure he needs a krazvat around the crownaround which needs a 2x4 back-up.. and thats BIG MONEY...JMHO

  6. #6Rozay2015-10-29 19:53

    Gee, thanks for the help, gents. I think your crystal balls are broken. Better luck next time.

  7. #7lantraxco2015-10-29 21:18

    Nope, just hand lapped to a perfect fit milady

  8. #8RayF2015-10-30 02:01

    I heard that Gypsy's have Crystal balls.

  9. #9kshansen2015-10-30 07:19

    Well maybe if we were given even a slight bit of information we could begin to make suggestions! " for some reason its not working." does not say much. Could be anything from a dead cell in the battery, failed starter, disconnect switch in off position, seized main bearing, broken ring gear, fuel tank empty, and on and on and on.

  10. #10lantraxco2015-10-30 13:47

    I'm not sure what the motivation is for the OP's posts, seems pretty random. Not spam, just random.

  11. #11Nige2015-10-30 14:18

    Occupation - urine extractor ........

  12. #12CRAFT2015-10-30 15:01

    Boy Nige !!! …….. Disappointed that you missed the Freight Train Here ????? …… Did You guys miss something here or did I NEVER EVER here that Cat Makes/Made a 3508 B ????? …………… LMFAO !!!! …… Great Analogies Guys !!!! …… LMFAO !!! ……. No wonder the Battery didn't work … It may be that the battery was Spec'd for a "3408 B" …...

  13. #13kshansen2015-10-30 20:11

    Not sure I totally understand that comment but here is just a short list of 3508 B Cat engines: There are also marine, industrial, and locomotive versions of the 3508 B

  14. #14lantraxco2015-10-31 03:15

    LOL, yeah, thought for a second there I was hallucinating, I was quite intimate with a pair of those 3508B's in a former life.

  15. #15kshansen2015-10-31 08:25

    Actually I recall calling the local Cat dealer and asked the service manager a question about the 3508 Genset we were working on and he tried to correct me saying I must mean 3408! Seams they had not seen one yet themselves or he had forgot that there was one.

  16. #16Nige2015-10-31 11:50

    Yeah, we had 3 x ZAD-prefix machines on the last job I was on.

  17. #17kshansen2015-10-31 13:23

    Had to do some digging in old files but found the one and only one I worked on was a 23Z425 tried to find "as built" information on it is SIS but comes back "NOT FOUND". Thinking it was a mid 80's genset.

  18. #18fixou8122015-10-31 13:56

    That's a hard act to follow...you fellows all have Very good points! All Gods children gotta deal with their own kinda trouble! " For there are none worthy. ....Not Even One, for we fall short of the Glory of God." There ain't nuthin a little love can't fix.....that and a Bfh

  19. #19fixou8122015-11-01 10:15

    ....get Wisdom'...and with all thi getting' get Understanding '...