Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

350c injection pump removal question

Gwilkrrs · 2022-05-17 21:55

Trying to remove the pump- the book says remove bolts holding pump on or something like that- how do you remove the bottom nut? I can’t seem to get a wrench or socket on it. I don’t have a “bent” (off set) wrench- is that what I need? I have everything else ready but that lower nut is like impossible- I cut a 9/16 wrench to make a stubby or weld it back together offset?

Replies8
  1. #1Dave Neubert2022-05-18 19:25

    Get a half moon wrench some call them starter wrenches

  2. #2thepumpguysc2022-05-19 00:19

    Didn’t I send u a pic of the bent wrench.?? Put it in a vise, heat it w a plumbers torch and bend it.. I think Northern Tool sells 1/2 moon wrenchs

  3. #3LCA0782022-05-21 22:29

    Craftsman calls them obstruction wrenches. No affiliation with this link- it just popped up when I googled craftsman starter wrench as I thought you could order them at one of the big box stores. And free shipping- saves you the trouble of burning $5/gal fuel to the store. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3847672549...1UCnF0e6TgfAfa6qTlxqpW8XUnHnl_A0aAsWbEALw_wcB

  4. #4LCA0782022-05-21 22:30

    Amazon has ratcheting versions of random brands too. Should be easy to source a wrench.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2022-05-21 23:47

    The gear wrenches are way to fat to do that particular job.. Even a regular box end wrench has to be put on a grinder.. I made mine.. I think I went to the pawn shop and bought a cheap Chinese wrench (1.00) and bent it.. I’ve had it for YEARS.. it’s the only wrench that’ll do that job..

  6. #6Gwilkrrs2022-05-23 18:55

    So I used a screw driver as a drift and was able to spin the nut off that way- i wanted to get it off and out quick. it will not work for the re assembly though- I have bent a box wrench past 90* so now I think I have to grind the ears down after reading this post? Did you bring it down to make it thinner?

  7. #7thepumpguysc2022-05-23 19:17

    Yes, I had to grind the outside of the box end.. Not too thin.. u want enough metal to tighten the bajesus out of it when reassembling.. If u happen to go to the store, pick up a small tube of BLUE Loc-tite.. & put it on the threads BEFORE u put the nuts on.. The BLUE is “service removable”..

  8. #8LCA0782022-05-24 07:05

    Wow- having to grind a box-end--- that's a tight fit! I'm surprised it was designed with so little space. I can see why was a pain to get off. But if your wrench doesn't fit easily, I'd hesitate to loctite it until after you ran it and verified all was good. You can back the nut off with the screwdriver again then apply the loctite as needed.