Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

350C John Dere….weak in reverse!

EZ TRBO ยท 2013-08-01 21:11

350C John Deere....weak in reverse! Had a buddy of mine call me the other night, hes using an older 350C JD crawler loader for cleaning some timber he has. Says its pushing good forward and working fine but reverse it won't hardly move...acting as if its slipping. I'm not familiar with this machine and haven not looked at it yet. Anything to check(besides the trans fluid, general items). I see on the spec sheet it list Direction Reverse...i'm guessing this is a gear drive forward with hyd reverse? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Trbo

Replies6
  1. #1stumpjumper832013-08-01 22:48

    Maybe an old deere tech will speak up, but its my belief that your problem lies in the h-l-r clutch adjustments. Here is what I know from my 450c, the hlr can be adjusted for how it behaves, I don't have the knowledge to do it. I do know that if its on a steep grade and the tranny is a little low, the cluch packs loose oil pressure an you go into neutral, and remain there until pressure is applied... Oh, and its a power shuttle, not a power shift...

  2. #2d9gdon2013-08-01 23:05

    Be sure to check the linkage to make sure it's adjusted right and the pins are not sloppy which won't allow it to go into gear.

  3. #3EZ TRBO2013-08-02 06:12

    Thanks guys, Stump...he did say it was when backing out of a hole he had dug..so incline. Will pass along the information to him. He is a very mechanical minded person just unfamiliar with "yellow iron". I'll make sure he re checks all fluids, and linkages etc. Thanks again. Trbo

  4. #4d9gdon2013-08-02 19:25

    I've got the service manual for a 450C if there's something you need.

  5. #5Buckethead2013-08-02 21:20

    If I remember correctly the 350s had a straight direct drive transmission. Most of them had a reverser. I only ever saw one that didn't have a reverser. 350 trans was a different trans then the 450.

  6. #6EZ TRBO2013-08-04 20:11

    talked to him today, says its pushing great as long as its cool oil. Run it too long and then its "slipping". Going to look on deere see what they have for a parts diagram online. thanks again Trbo