Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3512 Engines

Cam ยท 2009-06-02 14:54

I'm looking for information on extending life on 3508 and 3512 Cat engines in a haul truck application. What would be the expected life? Is it common to do a midlife pm replacement of sub components ,injectors, bearings other? Does this series have chronic problem areas like valve train that need extra attention? Thanks, Cam

Replies10
  1. #1Chris917862009-06-02 16:58

    Check the engine operation and maintenance manual.

  2. #2Cam2009-06-02 17:10

    Chris: I was looking for more user based experience. Cam

  3. #3ben46a2009-06-02 18:04

    Where in Alberta are you Cam?

  4. #4Chris917862009-06-02 18:36

    Do all the basics as described in the maintenance interval schedule. It will tell you when you need to replace components and such, good info.

  5. #5Cam2009-06-02 19:13

    Ben: Prince George BC

  6. #6LonestarCobra2009-06-02 19:34

    I have worked on the 3508 and 3512 engine for several years now. The electronic version is a better setup. The only chronic problems we had with them was when an injector went out on the mechanical goverened engine, a cylinder pack replacement was near. We had fourteen 777D's, seven 777C's, and six 992G's in my area. The customers did regular oil/filter changes every 250 hours plus a few hours every now and then. Every 10,000 to 11,000 hours we replaced rod/main bearings, changed turbo cartridges, oil pump, and ran the overhead. This always took the engines to 18,000 to 20,000 hours, when we would pull them re-build them. In the last few years, we just bought the re-man from Cat, as they were cheaper, and could be sitting next to you when you pulled the old one. There was a noticable difference in the condition of the rod/main bearings between the two different owners. The only thing they did different was use different brands of oil. Both used Cat filters. Every now and then we would have an exhaust manifold leak, oil cooler leak, or an injector go bad. All in all I think these engines are very good.

  7. #7JDOFMEMI2009-06-02 20:40

    Lonestar Care to enlighten us on the oil involved? I had some bad experience years ago with Unocal oils, but with Delo or Rotella, never an issue.

  8. #8LonestarCobra2009-06-03 21:13

    The engines that had the Mobil Delvac oil did the best. The engines that used the Texaco oil (not sure of the exact product name) did not do as well. We are using Delo where I am at now, and it seems to be good.

  9. #9joispoi2009-06-04 05:07

    Have you considered adding a pre-oiler and bypass filter?

  10. #10JDOFMEMI2009-06-05 01:38

    Thanks Lonestar. I would rate the Texaco branded oil right about the same as the Unocal brand. Kendall is another one I would not use. There are more, but it is easier to say I will only use Delo, Mobil, or Rotella in my machines. Safer that way.