Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The Biggest Excavator Mounted Diamond Wheel in the World

Squizzy246B ยท 2009-06-02 09:52

...or so they claim. This diamond wheel is a pretty awesome piece of kit to see in action. The diamond segments cost $35 ea (Aud). The funny thing is that when static it wobbles around like nothing on earth. Its only when it spins up that it becomes rigid. Its about 14' in diameter. That 330 has seen better days but it does the job.

Replies16
  1. #1Dwan Hall2009-06-02 11:15

    Do you think my wife would understand if I said I wanted 200 or 300 diamonds all set in a nice big ring.

  2. #2stock2009-06-02 13:16

    "Tried it now the frying pan is dented and I have picture with no sound justs lots of gnashing of teeth." Well I asked if she needed a ring with the circumference of diamonds and then the row started!

  3. #3special tool2009-06-02 14:48

    Baaah - that's nothing, I could run that with my pc09....

  4. #4special tool2009-06-02 14:51

    On a more serious note.. Where is the water tank on that rig???

  5. #5Turbo218352009-06-02 15:10

    Im going to guess its a lot like a demo rig. It is hooked up to a big tank behind the picture, or hooked up to some water source.

  6. #6qball2009-06-02 17:03

    man, i would want a little steel between me and the wheel.

  7. #7bill onthehill2009-06-02 17:28

    From the pics I don't see any extra hose for water on machine or on the ground. Sure would take a steady hand on controls or a bleed down valve to control the cut.

  8. #8Chris917862009-06-02 18:38

    Whoa, I deff would want some more protection in that cab lol

  9. #9Steve Frazier2009-06-02 19:30

    In picture #2 I see a bit of spray which would indicate the blade rotates away from the machine cab. Any broken pieces or debris would be thrown either to the ground or away from the cab. In #3 I see a hose in front of the machine attaching to the wheel about the size of a garden hose. What surprises me is that it isn't bigger, I'd have expected a higher volume of water flow.

  10. #10bill onthehill2009-06-02 19:32

    OK now I see the hose! As for protection you would not get very big pieces coming off the wheel. If it crashed might be a different story.

  11. #11Squizzy246B2009-06-02 19:59

    Steve is correct, the wheel spins clockwise when viewed from the left side so it spins away. The water supply is just a hose from a tank. I noticed one or two of the soldered on diamond segments missing on the blade. I didn't ask what speed they run it at but its relatively slow and they try and use only a little water to keep the diamonds cutting...too much water actually causes them to go blunt. Also the EPA is all over these guys to control run-off so the less water the better. The first pic shows a missing tooth: One of the owners sons is also one of those artistic types:

  12. #12JTL2009-06-05 00:14

    What does it need a water tank for? Looks to me like it blows enough hydraulic oil around the site that water would just make a mess!!

  13. #13Aardvark2009-06-16 06:05

    location ? Thats not up Mangrove mountain NSW way is it. The bloke on the digger looks like a bloke I worked with on a job at Bobbin Head Marina :beatsme

  14. #14BrianHay2009-06-16 06:13

    ....So when it hits the ground running and lets loose it's coming your way !! Odds of it ever letting loose I am sure are slim to none though. Surely wouldn't want the derby shooting my way when it's working.

  15. #15Squizzy246B2009-06-16 07:54

    Nope, its at Donnybrook WA. Those guys were also in the building game somewhere over east but I'm not sure.

  16. #16assocpowertrain2009-06-16 11:56

    Hahaha!