Any info on rebuilding this engine would be appreciated. who's da guru?
That's Nice! Tom
I would be so tempted to put a nice 283 Chevy and TH 350 in that and drive it everywhere. The D models were really nice looking trucks.
well I do have a 283.......but it's taken I'd like to keep the D15 original
look over at redpower if you don't want to wing it
Nice... I totally understand wanting to keep the D original.
I posted there and Binder Planet and OldIHC Responses have been slow
If I put it on the road I would drop different drive train in it and mothball the original stuff. Here I am at 15 smacking in the 30 over flat tops
When you tear it down, be cautious of EVERYTHING. Inspect the cam bushing bores, check for parts availability before removing much. Is a Blue Diamond engine so are still a few laying around. The block will be High Nickel, bores should not need to be recut, possibly hucklebur honed but not much more as they just did not wear as bad as straight cast, DO sand out the carbon lip. Inspect the pistons close for ring wear, these should have square cut rings on the pistons. Polish the crank yourself, bearing shells will be marked std. or undersized by .010 increments just use very fine emory cloth strips. Most likely has a leather front seal, probably only a slinger rear seal, replace the bushing for the trans input shaft aligner bore even if need one machine shop made. Use Copper Coat gasket sealant on the head gasket, do NOT install it dry or you will have leaks.
I don't think the 'diamond' engines came out until 1941. Your engine looks alot like the green diamond engine I have in my 1949 IHC KB1 except for the starter. Mine has a starter that is engaged by your right foot. It looks like you have a soleniod on the firewall for your starter. I could be wrong but I'm guessing someone has changed engines in it at some point.
You are correct as to Blue or Green diamond, change date was 41, green diamond goes back to 34. My miscatch.
I was wrong when I said the 'diamond' engines started in 1941. DMiller is right they started in 1934. But I think the blue diamond is a bigger engine that was used in a little bit bigger trucks. So it very well could be the original engine but someone has definitely swapped out the starter on yours.
It may not be original. It ran when I got it. But not strong. Cough and spit with any throttle applied. I put a little air pressure in the tank to push fuel to the carb after removing to replace exhaust manifold, and blew somebodys epoxy patch off the tank. I sealed that, but as the truck sat for a few years will now not turn over.
Gosh, now I have to correct myself on my previous statement on your starter. After doing a little research it seems that your starter configuration is correct for the D series trucks. i am pretty familiar with the K and KB's but evidently not so much with the D's. When you say yours won't turn over now are you thinking the motor is stuck or just a starter issue? When you said it would cough and sputter. My first thought was a fuel pump issue. Those fuel pumps don't seem to like this newer gas. I installed a low pressure electric fuel pump on my KB1 and that looks like it's going to work ok on mine.
I removed the starter and it works good. New 6v battery. I can't believe it would rust up in my shop, or get cold enough for freeze damage. But it won't turn over with the starter, and I put a 6 foot rock bar through the rear rim and cannot get the motor to budge in any gear. Couldn't get any real leverage on the flywheel with the starter removed. I'll soon take the radiator off and leverage right on the crank to see what happens. So I'm thinking it will be taken apart and once that far rebuild what is found.
this one is blue diamond HeavyEquipmentForums
I think I would consider pulling the plugs and pouring a little ATF or something in the cylinders and letting it set for a few days and see if that might help break it loose. I agree it's hard to believe that it would seize up sitting in your garage but stranger things have happened...
After seeing the Red Glue on the exhaust, I wonder if somehow the previous owner did not red glue the head and developed a coolant leak? Get the plugs out, peer into the abyss of each cylinder before condemnation.
I have sprayed pb and funneled diesel in for several months. Most of it run right out exhaust.
Valve open, may be time to drag it out.