I just replaced the starter in my 1979 Crown Coach school bus (with a Detroit 671) with a 39MT gear drive starter. This is an awesome upgrade. What I want to post is the part number because I was unable to find anything online or even at Fleet Pride where I purchased the starter. It is a Delco Remy 8200308, CW rotation, 11 tooth. It really cranks the 671 very nice! Supposably, I can also down size the Battery bank to one 8D battery instead of the current two. The appearance of the 2 starters is quite different, but it works great!
The 8200308 is Delco's clockable/fits most anything with 11 tooth. Actually you can't hardly find a parts house that stocks the old MT40 or MT42. No one wants those, the 39 turns with only three HD31's 33% faster.
This is all good to know information. The kid at the parts store had no idea what I was talking about. If it's not on their drop down menu, they don't have a clue... I just took a chance and bought it. He did say I could return it if I didn't install it.
I walked in the parts place hunting some brushes and about got laughed out of the place. It was for a smaller delco a mt24? Perhaps any how some brushes as the automotive starters used. No one could understand why I want parts just not a starter. I says I'm cheap and told them it was for a old tractor. I can't help but wander why no one is willing to change a solenoid and brushes when possible.
Yes. I miss the days when you would go to NAPA and the old guy behind the counter would dig through one of his books and find the bearing, brush or bushing that you needed to get you back on the road. He knew stuff. He was retired after working on them for 40 yrs. Now it's just some kid that has to click on a computer screen and if it's not on his drop down menu, you are SOL.....
I needed a governor for one of our trucks the other day. Stopped at NAPA, guy behind the counter had no idea what I was asking for, but eager to help. Older guy walks in from backroom and hands one to me. He heard me ask about it from the other room and grabbed it, knowing the guy at the counter didn't have a clue. I was just happy they had one.
I'm just glad they still keep the older guys around ;^)
Probably about the cheapest part left they where 13 bucks the last I noticed in the parts flyer
$15 and some change after tax
Big reason {in most cases} there is more wrong than just brushes. In the case of a MT39 it's lighter easier to handle. In cold weather a 39 will out perform any older starter design. Plus at the price of labor--less time to slam a new one, & be one with it.
I never consider Napa a heavy duty parts house--they have some stuff, only.
I agree. They seem to carry enough of the basics to help us out. Otherwise it's an hour trip to Road Equipment in GR for us.
I get it but for us (assuming a solenoid and brushes and a few other trinkets get is back to good shape) its the way we go.
Get another ten years older, you'll stop messing with them, us old farts like to pitch old starters/alternators, water pumps from a distance--kind of like horse shoes, just to see if we can hit the scrap bin underhanded at 40'.
We have Traction Heavy Duty Parts here that is a division of Napa. One guy that retired from there was a friend who's family owned a brake and clutch shop. They closed the brake shop and he went there to work but has since retired. He really knew his stuff but now it's really hit and miss, mostly miss getting anybody that has a clue unless it's the most common everyday thing you need. Some guys don't even know how to look stuff up in a catalogue. If it doesn't pop up on the computer right away they're lost.
Not all Napa stores are created equal. Some are downright disappointing and some of them are like a big boy toy store.
This is very true. Around here you have to be careful of pricing some are good some are beyond unreal
The good napa around here is a hour south, but if they don't have what you need there, no one else in that town will either. If I go a hour north, there's no napa, but there's about 4 big truck parts places, plus another three/ four dealers. So I end up going north most of the time, because likely someone will have it there. There's three oreilly's here in town, and the main warehouse is only a hour north. The stores get three route trucks every day from the main warehouse, so if they dont' have it when I call at 8;00, they can usually get it on the 11:00 or 3:00 trucks. Which is way better than the "it will be here on the truck tomorrow". Its usually better for the oreilly's, if I find what I need from them in their heavy truck parts book. If I can get it from oreilly's, it saves me a couple 2-3 hours going to town. But their "house brand" stuff is crap. I don't care if the house brand is lifetime warranty, I don't want to have to change the part again.
I only used napa to stock normal common use items. Wire, terminals, hose, clamps and so on. Napa can't compete on anything else, there line of Wilson electrics--I could buy new for the same as rebuilt, and it is new, most won't buy wilson around here. But I had a major truck dealer parts sales person almost everyday plus extra deliveries. And the price discount I had in place---no reason to buy at a chain.