Hey all, I had been looking for a headset that I could wear on my tractor and in my skid steer to reduce the noise impact on my ears. Also so I could listen to Audible books and tunes while working. Ideally the headset would use active noise reduction (ANR) technology and would connect wirelessly with my Iphone so that I could listen to books or tunes and make and receive calls in a high noise environment. I checked the noise level in the cab on my TN70D. At idle it was 80db. Mowing with the engine running at PTO speed it was 91db. (I have a db meter app on my Iphone ). I had been using earbuds but that was a poor answer for me as it did nothing for the noise and I couldn't keep the ear buds in my ears while bouncing through the field . Next I bought a set of over the ear stereo headphones by Skullcandy. These stayed on my head ok but did little to reduce the noise and the cord was always in the way. I gave them a good test while mowing 50 acres. They were ok but not great. I searched the internet and found a set that met all my criteria but cost $900.00 . I had been eyeballing the 3M Tekk headset with built in AM/FM radio for a while but it was not cordless. It occurred to me that I might be able to attach a small Bluetooth adapter to them so that I could use them wirelessly. I ordered them from Amazon Wednesday and got them Friday night. The Bluetooth adapter is a Bluegate Go Groove receiver. The adapter is small, light with a 3 cord and an internal rechargeable battery. The headset was $40 and the adapter was $25 with free shipping. This morning I took them on a small mowing job to give them a test run. The Tekk headset claims a 24db reduction in ambient noise and I believe them. Wow, it was much quieter. I could still hear and feel the tractor running but the difference was amazing. The Bluetooth adapter connected flawlessly and I was able to listen to my audio book with ease. No cords to tangle (I attached the adapter to one of the headset cups with a small piece of velco). While this is not the perfect solution (I still don't have 2 way communication with my Iphone) it seems to work very well. The price is very affordable for me. The headset seems to be well built to last in a tough environment. Tim
Do you have any links to these i am some what interested. Is the head set anything like this http://www.ruralking.com/sas-digital-earmuffs-with-am-fm-stereo-display-6108.html
Very cool TMC31.....I need to give this set a try.....I am going deaf running these machines....literally !
1466IH, yes, they seem to be very similar. Here are the links to the ones I bought. Sorry, I should have included these links in the original post. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ield-keywords=3m tekk&sprefix=3m+tekk,aps,225 http://www.amazon.com/GOgroove-Blue...60&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=bluegate+go+groove Yeah pafarmer, same with me Tim
Thanks for the info and links Tim. I don't have to worry about going deaf from the machine noises though...I can't hear a thing over my tinnitus.
I have a pair of those headphones, and they're great. I mainly use the radio, or I run a cord to my pocket and iPod.