Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3rd / 4th / 5th Valves & Auxiliary Hydraulic Circuits & Attachment Requirements

yank132 · 2012-03-30 18:56

I want to be able to have the following mounted on a 6 ton excavator at all times– Hydraulic pin grab coupler Then I want to be able to mount at least one of the following (and often both) - Helac Rototilt If I wanted to use either of these independently I would need a hydraulic pin grab coupler between these two units. Then I would need a third hydraulic pin grab coupler to enable the actual working attachments to be changed from the seat. Finally, we get to the normal array of attachments (many of which require hydraulics) that I need to use – Jaw Bucket (this would be the predominately used item) Auger Rototiller Compacter Pole setter Breaker Grapple Ditching Bucket Grading Blade And then, I want to be able to use a few somewhat untypical attachments (all of which require hydraulics)– Concrete mixer Rotating/pivoting forks 3 pt type hydraulic PTO Yes, I realize that the weight of any one working attachment plus the couplers/helac/rototilt will be in the region of 1200 lbs and the increased length will reduce the digging/lifting force somewhat. But these trade-offs are worth making for the gains I will derive from be able to VERY QUICKLY combine the above attachments in various combinations. Now, perhaps if I was willing to forgo the Helac +/- 90 degrees of motion, and could live with the Rototilt +/- 40 degrees of motion, I could eliminate 1 of the hydraulic couplers. Hmm... So; to make all these attachments work in unison properly: How many auxiliary hydraulic circuits do I need? Would a 3rd & 4th valve be enough? Or would I need even more valves? Should all of these circuits be two way capable? Would it be best to have all the circuits tied into a common drain that goes directly to the hydraulic tank? If I had to take a hydraulic feed off an existing circuit(s) which circuit(s) would be preferable? Would the extra hydraulic circuits require replacing at least one of the joysticks? If so, is there a preferred brand/type of joystick that I should consider? Should I increase the size of the return filter? Should I use filters with higher efficiency? Would a bypass filter be a good idea? Many thanks to any forum member who takes the time to respond. Best regards, Steve

Replies2
  1. #1buckfever2012-03-30 19:58

    I don't know about the others but I do know that you don't need a seperate valve for the coupler. A electric selonoid tapped into the bucket cylinder hydro lines is how i've seen it done.

  2. #2hvy 1ton2012-03-30 21:24

    Yep. Throw a switch and curl the bucket and the the oil bypasses into the pin grabber. I'm not sure how the Q/A tilt units work, but i would think it uses the tilt function to actuate the pin grabber. You'll need 1 switchable 1-2 way circuit so you can run a breaker and a second 2 way circuit for the more complicated bits. My deere dealer uses http://www.hkx.com/ for this kind stuff. The the Breaker/Shear/Rotate kit will get it done for ya. I think you'll find a 60 (even with merged pumps) will be short of hydraulic hp to run several of your more off-the-wall attachments. Notably, the tiller, pto, and concrete mixer (that one will be a weight problem anyway). I still say drop the jaw bucket and get a mounted clam bucket. That will cover the jaw bucket, grapple and pole setting duties and do much better job handling rocks than a jaw bucket. They even dig decent.