Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4 53 detroit fuel filter part

Fred Goatroper ยท 2024-05-17 10:22

The old excavator has a 4 53 detroit. I'm looking for a fuel filter. I can't find apart number, and lookup on the internet is impossible. Ordering the wrong one is a "pain'. Any help wouild be great.

Replies7
  1. #1Coaldust2024-05-17 11:31

    Probably a BF593, but it could still have a sock filter. Is it a spin on or a cartridge style?

  2. #2Fred Goatroper2024-05-17 12:54

    Cartridge type, I believe. Didn't want to pull it apart until I had a new one (in the middle of a job). I plan to do an oil change at the same time.

  3. #3Coaldust2024-05-17 13:24

    Fred, I highly recommend converting that to spin on.

  4. #4kshansen2024-05-17 15:54

    Most Detroits have primary and secondary fuel filters.

  5. #5FWD2024-05-17 18:45

    I had a 4-53 in a Bantam Excavator and changed to Spin-On filters. Was easy to do and after th base installation, filter changes were much easier! FWD

  6. #6willie592024-05-17 20:34

    Wix filter lookup shows the 4-53 with cartridge filters used 33073 and 33511. But like others, I'd change those things to spin on ASAP

  7. #7Fred Goatroper2024-05-23 10:06

    Thanks for all the response. I was finally able to clean up the filters enough to get the part numbers. The housings were a total mess. Whoever did the last replacement (looks like a long time ago) crammed the secondary in and crushed one side. In any case I picked up new filters and installed them. I may go to spin on filters, but I need the machine now. Thanks again to all.