Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4-53 Detroit guys?

62oliver · 2025-07-16 14:55

Hey guys, out on my skidder this afternoon, blew a fuel line on the engine, about 1 foot long rubber line from front fuel filter and goes into left side of cylinder head closer to the front. Rubber line on with hose clamps, am I right in thinking it is a low pressure fuel return line, so regular fuel line would be good to replace it? Just asking as I have not got it off yet, had to walk out to get a long screwdriver to get at clamp and may be able to get wife to pick some up as she’s in town, thanks!!

Replies13
  1. #1Coaldust2025-07-16 15:23

    What? I can’t hear you. My tinnitus is screaming like your 2-stroke menace once did. Sure, whatever it takes to get the wood moved, but replace it with a proper braided one-wire transport hose, soon. Or, your next post will be about the engine fire.

  2. #262oliver2025-07-16 15:55

    Haha, ok thanks!!

  3. #362oliver2025-07-16 16:37

    That is actually a return line?

  4. #4Coaldust2025-07-16 17:15

    Maybe. Is it the one coming out of the restrictive fitting on the head, to the tank? Your pictures didn’t show up.

  5. #562oliver2025-07-16 18:29

    No pics, from fitting front left side of head to filter housing. It’s had that regular rubber line on it for many years. I’ll go to hose store and get a proper one, thanks again!!

  6. #6Coaldust2025-07-16 23:43

    Sometimes Detroit ran the return line back to the primary filter inlet, instead of the tank. Pretty common. Good luck

  7. #7Simon C2025-07-17 00:02

    After the restrictive fitting, the hose going to tank can be lesser quality hose, but the hose going from filter to cylinder head has to be something like socket and nipple braided hose or Aeroquip 2556-6 push on hose for thier barbed fittings. (rated at 300PSI ) Cheap hose will blow apart, have seen too many times. Don't cheap out or you will have a fire. Simon C

  8. #8Coaldust2025-07-17 00:07

    Thanks for joining in, Simon. It was getting lonely in here.

  9. #9Simon C2025-07-17 00:12

    They can dump a barrel of fuel on the ground in a short flash before the engine dies. The braided hose was my choice for quite a few years. It can take the heat found under the hood. Just my experience. Simon C

  10. #10Coaldust2025-07-17 00:32

    You are absolutely correct. Especially, bouncing around the woodz. Specifically, I use SAE 100R5 Parker 206. With the field attachable 20 series fittings. I just like the sexy blue braid.

  11. #1162oliver2025-07-17 05:29

    Ok, thanks guys, ya it was spraying out pretty good alright, having light up would have been inconvenient.

  12. #1262oliver2025-07-19 10:32

    Turned out that rubber fuel line that ruptured was the one going IN to the head, so I think I better find a better alternative than that. Shop I went to yesterday didn’t have anything like the 206, another one I called has 201, which appears to be pretty much the same thing, So I’ll go there Monday. From my online search the best I can find for pressure going IN to head it should be 30-70psi, does that sound right? Thanks again.

  13. #13Vetech632025-07-19 10:45

    Up to 75 PSI should work for the pressure inlet line. Usually, the OEM is a steel line. Some applications used the Weatherhead hose and fittings.