So I got a call from a local shop that "doesn't have time" to look at this compressor. It's a 2006 atlas compressor with a Deere engine. I put a gauge on it and it has zero oil pressure. I'm guessing oil pump, gear or pickup tube. R these known for anything? Just thought I'd check with u guys before I pull the engine out
The only thing these are known for is balance shaft problems. I would pull them out and check them for any marks. Any marks on either the shafts are bushings and I would replace them. The bushings have a habit of walking out of the block. If it has ran with low oil pressure I would def check them out.
My experience is with the 6.8L engine which is the six cylinder version of the one you're talking about. I just rebuilt one in an excavator. When doing some research on the engine, I think these two engines were known for oil pump failures, with some failures being caused by the gear spinning on the shaft as it is not keyed. There were also issues with the oil pump bypass valves. Your bypass valve may be accessible thru the front cover as shown in the service manual. My engine was different as you would have to pull the front timing cover to access it.
Ill second the oil pump spinning on the shaft. We had alot this winter but again on 6068s. The bypass valve that you can get through the timing cover is the older one. The new one you have to pull the intermediate plate but to do that you have to pull your gear train off. We had a a couple where we got lucky and dropped the pan changed the pump + turbo and pulled mains +rod bearings with no damage. Then we had a couple where we had bearings spin.
Well I guess the engines comin out then haha. Hopefully tonite
I guess its easy enough to pull rather than trying to drop the pan in place?
Best I can tell, the engine has to come out to pull the pan off. I'll make sure but I can't remember any compressors that I could get a pan off
Never worked on a small altas if its like their big ones your in for a fun night
I'm lookin forward to it...let me tell ya haha
So I finally got this apart. A snap ring on the oil pump shaft is missing and the gear was walking out of the idler gear. Needs bearings and oil pump
Now with 5000hrs do I tell the to just do a complete overhaul or just do bearings and run it?
I normally let the customer make the call but if it seems in ok shape Id lean towards rolling new bearings into it and letting it go. Hows the crank look?
I'd check that crankshaft over really well. Did the rods or mains get hot? Whether or not to rebuild depends on if it's a front line machine that'd really hurt if it went down again or if it's a backup unit that's not used so much and wouldn't hurt if it went down.
I would go for the rebuild esp if the crank checks out. The pistons will at some point break off pieces around the top ring land. A max force overhaul kit can be had reasonably , and it comes with new wrist pins which the deere kit does not. Special tools are required to replace the main seals, but mine are homemade. Also replace the oil pressure regulator as it s cheap. Have not had any piston failures with max force kits. However, the fuel line grommets need to come from deer, as the aftermarket ones are softer and do not work as well IMO. Also replace injectors as they cheap as well.
Crank looks good. Told them it was their call. It's getting bearings and a turbo. Told them I'm not standing behind but will do whatever they want
Good call, if you leave the option up to the owner then they are responsible if it slings a rod down the road. Just had a customer with a cummins in a skytrack had me do a head. History if the machine was it has had 3 heads installed by different mechanic. I recommended a complete this time for a cya situation. They opted for another head job. If it pukes again then we know for sure it has a block problem not just installer error.
So I got this done. Ended up sending the crank in for a polish to be safe. New rods and mains. New rod bolts. New turbo. And gaskets. I bought a book set too, quite a few 4045s around. Ran like a top. Took about 30 hours total
Your books should cover 6068 too.