Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

To make a short story long …

partsandservice ยท 2014-04-16 23:04

So I have this 1050 john deere tractor in the shop with a yanmar 3 cyl. engine. Not something I normally fool with, special project for customer that does bring the stuff I normally work on. Anyway, this engine came in with oil running out of the exhaust manifold and blowing out muffler. Immediately I checked the turbo and it was shot. This tractor has something that looks like a coolant tank but the boost air travels through it, there is no coolant entering this tank apparently is serves as some sort of air cooler. This thing is full of engine oil. So I replace turbo and clean out the oil. Check the oil level and fire it off. It's running but smoking and skipping . Break off injection lines and number one is dead , but no fuel is coming out injection line at all until it reaches full throttle. And then it is just barely squirting. So I cut the tractor off and remove the delivery valve for 1. Every thing seams in order. Check the copper washer that seals the delivery valve, did not think that was an issue but wanted to make sure sealing surfaces were clean for reinstall. Install delivery valve and crank the engine with the injection line for one completely off. No fuel coming out what so ever. Loosen the delivery valve and fuel runs out of delivery port with nothing more than pump case pressure. Tighten it up, no fuel what ever. So I rev the engine, mechanical throttle by the way and is also the engine cut off, once again at full throttle a small amount if fuel dribbles out. I then throttle down and engine and the engine speed remains the same, so I start looking to see if the throttle linkage has somehow gotten disconnected. Then I think I hear the engine rev up some more but then again I am not sure. Then it it does it some more then some more, holy sxxx it's running on oil !!!. Since I wasn't prepared for this I did not have my air block off device, or know where it was currently residing, or have the air intake loose for the emergency shut off. So I grab a screw driver and remove the clamp that holds the air pipe to the air filter and remove it. The whole time the engine is picking up speed and I think its gonna blow with me standing over it, but I got I done and cleared out in time. Now I can't find anything to cover the air pipe, I think about removing my shirt and stuffing it in the pipe , then I find a folded up tarp and stuff it over the intake. The engine started to decelerate and eventually shut off. After a big pinch of snuff and sit down break, I fire the engine off , with the shut down device in hand, to see if there was any audible engine damage. The engine sounds the same as it did before it tried to run, but I did not rev it this time. Back to to injection pump issue. I remove the injection pump and find it to be simple, although the number three metering rod pinion has slipped out of time I was able to figure out how to correctly time and reassemble the pump except for the position of the metering rod I have yet to wrap my head around. It can only go two ways 180 out from each other. That's enough for one day.

Replies5
  1. #1partsandservice2014-04-17 20:40

    I was hoping to get some more runaway engine stories going.

  2. #21466IH2014-04-17 21:50

    There are a few good videos on YouTube but I too would like some run away stories. I know it can be some scary stuff to have a run away so I'm not sure why I like to watch them or hear about them but I guess it is along the same lines as the other topic here with the wrecks that the operators walked away from. So back to the topic I have only had one run away story and it was when I was running a 580m installing storm drains and hit an unmarked gas line. I took my pocket knife and cut the intake hose off and shoved a red shop towel into the turbo Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  3. #3Old Doug2014-04-18 22:03

    I work at a place years ago that would buy just about any thing to do with constuction or quarry and fix it up. Most of it had been around the block so geting it runing agin you always were ready for a run away. I had a 3406 and a helper run away one time. I was working on a injecter pump on a 3406 in a KW i told the boss that it wasnt something i needed to be doing but he said go ahead so when i went to start it i had the turbo hose off and a board ready and told my helper what could happen and what to do if for some resone i couldnt get to the turbo. He was behind the wheel when i told him to start it. It fired up wide open. I was on the drivers side head for the other side when out of the corner of my eye my helper jumped from the cab with out touching the steps and ran as fast as he could away from the truck. I got it smothered out and he returned like nothing had happen.The guy that i first worked for told me that one of his HD11s ran off the first time he started it up on a rebuild. It did something to one piston wrist pin hole. He had it board and a brass bushing made. It worked and wasnt replaced till it needed overhauled agin.

  4. #4RZucker2014-04-18 22:44

    Years ago when I was still operating. I had an injector stick in an 6-110 in the front of an old TS-24, Wide open of course. I threw it into high gear and buried the bowl. Then yanked the E-stop, and got 6 feet of wire. luckily I had stalled the machine to where I could jump and trip the air flap from the ground. The super wanted me to restart it and drive to the laydown area to have it repaired, Yeah... right.

  5. #5Heavey Metal2014-04-21 16:26

    950 cat had removed the cab and replaced the stack of pumps hyd,trany etc. Wanted to prime them before replaceing the cab so left the preshure lines off and bumped the starter with a remote switch. Not fun when a brain dead motor cranks at full throttle with you sitting on the tire.