Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4 in 1 Bucket – Plumbing

cgraham1 ยท 2010-01-13 02:26

I just bought a 4 in 1 backhoe bucket (it's 24" wide & made by Wain Roy). Just wondering what the best way is to add hydraulics for this?:beatsme It goes on a Case 590 SL. Does case make a kit for this? Would it be the same as adding a thumb? Would you just use some sort of toggle switch or pedal to activate it?:beatsme Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1Goose2010-01-13 18:47

    Yes it would be the same plumbing as for a thumb. You can add a circuit to run the thumb. The kits run about $2000.00- $2500.00 plus the labor or your time to install the kit. Or you can installe a diverter valve on the bucket or extendahoe circuit and have a switch on the controls to control the diverter valve. The diverter valves for the pressure and flow on this machine will run around $600.00. The only problem with the diverter setup is you cannot do both fuctions at the same time.

  2. #2willie592010-01-13 19:20

    Hey Goose, just curious; do you happen to know how much pressure/flow is on the front bucket roll and extend-hoe circuits on these machines?

  3. #3Goose2010-01-13 19:57

    The front bucket pressure should be 3100psi and around 20 gpm is all you will get through the plumbing. The extendahoe will be 3100 psi and 30-35 gpm at the max. Are you trying to find a place to hook into to run an attachment or hand held tools?

  4. #4willie592010-01-13 20:26

    Actually, I drew up the schematics for a solenoid diverter valve and got with the engineers at Hydraforce and had them build one for me. We were wanting one for smaller tractors and loader hoes so a customer could mount attachments on them. The valve I had built is 12 gpm, 14 gpm max. I've also got a 40 gpm unit in the works, haven't built it yet. I was just curious what kind of pressure and flow was on the larger loader/hoes. Thanks for the info. :notworthy

  5. #5cgraham12010-01-13 22:08

    So what you're saying is you tee into another circuit and have a switch inside the machine to change back and forth between circuits? The previous owner actually installed a manual diverter in the bucket curl circuit so that he could run an auger, but it sounds like it might be better if it was in the Ex-Hoe circuit. If I could control the diverter valve from inside I could run the Ex-Hoe out, flip the switch, use the 4-in-1 bucket to pick something up, then flip the switch again and bring the Ex-Hoe back in? I was thinking of a completely seperate circuit so I could use all the functions at the same time, but I don't know if I can afford the $2000 for the kit!

  6. #6willie592010-01-13 22:14

    yep, that's pretty much what goose was saying cgraham. The diverter valve gives an affordable alternative to at least be able to operate accessory attachments.

  7. #7cgraham12010-01-13 22:16

    Does anyone know what a 24" 4-in-1 bucket is worth, should I decide to do something different? I got the bucket (in very good condition) along with a wain roy quick change 18" bucket for $500 total. I told my wife it was a good deal! Sorry for all the questions! And thanks for the help.

  8. #8willie592010-01-13 22:19

    Don't know what they're worth, but that price sounds good.

  9. #9Goose2010-01-13 22:38

    $500.00 was a steal for just the 4-1 bucket. We put one on a machine a couple of months ago and it was about $3500.00

  10. #10cgraham12010-01-13 23:06

    I figured a new one would be a couple thousand, at least! Figured I could sell the wain roy and come out even, but I wasn't figuring for hydraulic upgrades! I may just sell them both and get a mechanical thumb instead.

  11. #11Cumminszhere2010-01-14 07:32

    cgraham, PM sent.