Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4 Sprocket Drive Sideboom

Northart ยท 2008-03-29 14:32

Here's a 4 Sprocket Hydrostatic Drive Sideboom, made by Laurini of Italy. Sliding tray counterweight. Certainly innovative. This has been posted elsewhere, but forgot where. http://www.laurini.com/gb/news/index.html

Replies15
  1. #1Dozerboy2008-03-29 14:51

    Neat

  2. #2joedirt2008-03-29 17:08

    That really interesting Northart. I can't say I've ever seen a 4 drive sprocket machine. I read the link and it sure has some good selling points on the advantages to this system. I wonder what if any, advantages it would offer to dozers in the present state?

  3. #3bobcat ron2008-03-29 17:29

    Hello complicated track tensioning system, looks like the carrier rollers need to be jacked up.

  4. #4AtlasRob2008-03-29 18:14

    Northart, have you seen the latest 360 exc based, fixed mast by Volvo. Basically a pipelayer jib, on a 360 crane/exc undercarriage ! Classic case of :Banghead why didn't I think of that. Come on somebody must have a picure. :drinkup Found one of a model on Google but cant upload it ! keeps showing upload error !

  5. #5bobcat ron2008-03-29 18:49

    Right click on the picture and "Save As", that always works for me when I steal pics off the 'net.

  6. #6Northart2008-03-29 19:33

    Innovative Ideas ? Hello Atlas Rob, No , but I heard about it. Laurini has an excavator sideboom also. If you chase the link , its there. Joedirt, Swishy over at ACMOC configured many variations of the Quads after I asked about him a Quad D11 and Quad D2. Then he really come up with some duzies , LOL . He's a real talented computer whiz, graphics,animation artist. Anyway, after Deas Plant posted that picture of Swishy's Cat D13 , it reminded me of the Italian 4 sprocket drive sideboom. Kinda shows sometimes, many other people are thinking about the same thing or idea. I just wonder if a larger version ,like Laurini, with a Big Cat engine in the middle with a genset and 4 electric motors, instead of hydraulics ............. ????????????? or 4 electric wheel motors like the huge haul trucks , but 4 big sprockets instead. Just musing . LOL Maybe someday ????? a dozer version will appear.

  7. #7Deas Plant2008-03-29 19:53

    Cat Design Team Nomination Hi, Northart. I'm e-mailing Cat right now to nominate you for their Research and Design team. Expect to hear from them within 30 years - - - - corporate inertia, you know. LOL.

  8. #8Northart2008-03-29 20:12

    Caterpillar R&D Hello Deas Plant, Well, if you have any Corporate clout, you may submit my name for consideration . LOL I would be pleased to accept any offers. I have also talked, to now, a deceased Operator,owner,designer, etc. "Wild Bill Nelson" he used to own them 4' wide pad stretch D8-14A's . He was telling me about some prototypes of a Cat engine inside a huge single track. Never got the real details on that one. Most intriguing.

  9. #9Reuben2008-03-29 21:38

    here a pic

  10. #10Reuben2008-03-29 21:40

    http://www.davispipelayer.com/

  11. #11Reuben2008-03-31 07:08

    I was thinking how handy that excavator based side boom would be for train wreck clean ups.

  12. #12Deas Plant2008-03-31 08:57

    Cat R&D team nomination Hi, Northart. Why not? If D8Bob reckons they listen to him, they ought to be a LOT more willing to listen to somebody who 'ACKSHULLY' makes sense.

  13. #13Big Iron2008-03-31 11:48

    Can you imagine that sideboom loaded cross ways on a lowboy!! That sideboom excavator looks to have an expanable type undercarriage, slick setup.

  14. #14Mestenbroek2008-04-01 08:27

    Not sure on that machine. Looks very long, and hard to steer.

  15. #15Countryboy2008-04-01 19:30

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Mestenbroek! :drinkup