does cat make a D12? have they ever? i'm having an arguement with a friend that needs to be put to rest!! if there is such a thing some pics would be great
Their working on it and I hear its going to be Nuclear powered!:thumbsup :lmao Okay. maybe not. I read that on another forum and thought it was funny. As far as I know they never have but they can keep secrets pretty good. I doubt it though.
Way back when........... As far as i can remember, and i'm only a young bloke, They did make a D12 back when the high track first came in. But they remaned the whole fleet and the D12 then became the new D11. Some of the old timers might know a bit more about the whole process.
Cat has never made a D12. It was the old D10 that became the D11, When they did the size correction on the machines at the N series introduction. There has been rumors of a D12 for some time but i cannot see it. The D11 is a very popular machine with hundreds if not thousands in use worldwide. In comparison, the komatsu D575, which a D12 would have to compete with, has somewhere south of 70 units worldwide last time I checked. Mainly due to its large size. I have also heard that a D11 can almost match a D575 in production due to the speed at which it travels. Add to this the ease of manuverability of the cat and i think the D11 will be at the top of cats dozer list for a while yet.
You are not quite right, the D11 model was formerly a D10, when they developed the D8N which was a completely new model the 8L became a 9N, the 9L became a 10N and the 10 became the 11. I have no idea whether their are any plans to build a D12 in the future, I think it would be a limited market. I am sure if we follow this thread, we will soon be finding out. Russell
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums tomsy! :drinkup
No Cat D12 BUT - - - - - - - - - - Hi, Ronburgandy. I have never heard any mention of a D12 being projected, researched, engineered, designed, built or released. However, this concept sketch of a D13 'Millenium' dozer did come my way some months ago and I waited to see if they would exhibit it at Conexpo but it was a no-show so I'll let the Cat out of the bag now. The sketch and text together were too big a file to post here so I've had to split them. I've also added a couple of other ideas that the person who sent them to me assures me Cat are contemplating, based on the highly successful Cat D11R tractor. Just where he gets his information from, I have no idea but, thank you, Swishy, of ACMOC and ACME forums fame.
Date of release.....April 1st
they have the blueprints for it but i have been told they have not made one yet. Although from another source told me it was somewhere in Wyoming, Montana somewhere out there. at some top secret job. He is a good source older man but i would have to see some proof
a guy where i work swears that he worked on a job back in the early 90s where cat was trying out a d12, he said it was too big for the tracks, had too many probs, i called bs we argued awhile, then i gave up.but he still swears he saw it.
Thats what i hear, but they are having problems producing a flux capacitor for it. They tried the one from the delorian in back to the future, but it keep making the dozer float off the ground
I'm not a member to cat's top brass, but I bet we will see an expansion of the electric d-7e's to more dozers sizes soon, if the productivity and reliability are what they say it is. I think that we will see smaller and more efficient/productive equipment in the future rather than bigger. I'd bet cat would bring the d-2 back as a hystast mini grading dozer before making a limited use, high cost, limited market, mega dozer.
Just imagine the undercaridge nightmare on that DD11 SXSXS!
Were they using the Mr. Coffee grinder to precharge the fuel for the flux capacitor? I hear beer + the can is the ultimate fuel :drinkup
Suspicious mind. Hi, Squizzy. You have a nasty suspicious mind. And if you knew Swishy, you'd feel totally justified. LOL.
We have a Cat D12. When our D5 is working along side of our D7, doesnt that make a D12. :drinkup
It truely is the hightest of the flux capacitor world You gotta add an egg or two for the extra punch Someone said in this thread that they think the D7E is a test platform for electric drive and larger dozers. I thought the same thing when it was announced. The D7 is big enough to get an idea on how it will work in the bigger machines. Its is also a machine size you dont see much of, so if its a flop it wont be such a big deal, as there are not many machines. With metal, oil, and other mined commodities worth so much right now, a D12 is not out of the question. High prices demand big production. In theroy this would be a good time for another super dozer. Will it have the sales of the D11, no. Undercarriage and tracks still seem to be the big issue for the "super dozers" From what I understand, the D575s are not the greatest on either. This would be the same for a Cat super dozer. These machines will spend a lot of time in rock, rather than dirt, so that makes it even worse
I don't think so, Two fives won't make a 10 either though.
Dang Lash at least you could let me think big for once. I like the pics though, big difference in the size of those machines.
i'm forcing my friend to read this whole thread because... i win!!!
I wouldnt be too supprised if one was to come out. With the population of 400 ton truck increasing, there will be more of a market. When a D11 has to push a load dumped from a 400 tonne truck, it has to take a few bites at it, from one side or the other, which means it isnt quite as efficient as most of the pushing will be done by one track. I have heard that due to this, the 575 Komatsus are starting to get a few more orders again. The average size of mines is growing getting deeper, with more overburden removal and all other machines are getting bigger, I would think a D12 will make sense if Komatsu starts to sell a few more 575s.
As a Cat fan, I've asked a lot of questions about this. Some say there was a prototype made and i don't doubt it. I'd almost be willing to bet there's one somewhere near tucson right now. I do know for a fact that out track tooling that came out with the release of the D11 is made to accomadate a much larger undercarriage say like a D12? Cat had something in mind then for sure let alone what they are planning now. Possibly an electric drive? I'm anxious to see.
gettin it all over If an operator of a haul truck leaves enough dirt on top that you would need a dozer bigger than a 10 then you need to find some new truck drivers. I think our mine is gonna be gettins some 400 ton liehberrs for the dirt run and I can't really figure that out since every other truck is a Cat.
I doubt a D11+ size dozers would be purchased for pushing truck piles. Most of the D11s and Komatsu super dozers are used in strip mining. Mostly for reclamation work behind the big drag lines. There is a mining company in southern Ohio that uses D11s to strip overburden off the coal seam. Then they load it with 992 and 994 loaders. Im sure there are many other mines that use big dozers in similar situations.
I hear that Oxford has like 40 something D11's...in addition to the dozens of other smaller dozers, loaders, trucks, shovels, and support equipment they have running around at over a dozen pits. I'd like to go see all of them working at once.
It really depends on the dump you are working, that's not the case in every situation. Our dumps require most of the material to be pushed since we don't work high lifts due to compaction issues. The few high dumps we have run will allow you to dump over the edge, but when you are padding in a 1 meter lift, you need to push....no two ways about it. By the way, really sorry to hear about the Liebherrs. Sounds like the bean counters aren't looking at the big picture, just purchase price. You can almost buy two T282Bs for the price of one 797B. Brian
D16? My dad swears to have seen a double dozer, two D-somethings with one blade and one operator that were attached in the middle when they were building the new Arkansas Razor back stadium in the early 90's. I wasn't ever sure until I saw the D16 that Holt had built for the King Ranch. Anyone ever seen this sort of thing?
D16????????????? Hi, CarterKraft. Well, that is the first time I have ever heard those Buster Peterson creations called 'D16's'. Most people called them 'Siamese' D8's. Peterson actually built three of those outfits. The first 2 were normal clearance and the one that you have posted photos of was the last one built. Quote: "My dad swears to have seen a double dozer, two D-somethings with one blade and one operator that were attached in the middle " Again, Buster Peterson of Peterson Engineering, a California Cat distributor, was the perpetrator. He designed and built 2 separate arrangements for working 2 Cat D9's in tandem with one operator. I am attaching photos of both arrangements. The nose-to-tail arrangement was primarily for push-loading scrapers and was called the DD9G, or later the DD9H. The side-by-side arrangement was called the SxS D9G, or later the SxS D9H. Hope this helps.
Well, that is some really interesting stuff. So your saying the pictures I showed were of a "Buster Conversion", not a Holt modification, maybe I read to much into the statement. I know the root plows and rakes were Holt designed, I assumed the dozer was too.
Always love those pictures of the DD9G and SxS arrangements. Great machines!
CR500 hits the nail on the head. And as for doubting D11 would be used for pushing dumps and new operators are required when loads are not tipped over the edge i think you guys need to open your eyes a bit. With Cats marketing prowess a D12 would sell, no question, is a machine of this size required, i think it might be a bit closer to yes than no now but i doubt Cat will do it, i have heard some powertrain work has been done for one but thats about it and if they had built one i dont think it would have ventured out of Tucson.
Conversions. Hi, CarterKraft. Yes, Buster Peterson did the conversion jobs on the D8's, which were 2U series machines, but Holt made the funnel dozer and root plow and, I think, fitted them.
Loads not dumped over edge. Hi, Folks. I'm with Gavin 84W on this one about loads not dumped over the edge. In some situations, especially when building rock fills, the last thing you want is to have the load, especially the whole load dumped over the edge. When the load is dumped on top and PUSHED over, some of the 'fines' are sifted out and remain on top of the fill, giving you a smooth surface for dump trucks, etc., to drive on and giving some softer material for a smoother ride for the poor, over-worked, under-paid, ill-treated and unappreciated dozer operator. NO 'LOL' on this one.
Deas or anybody with some info. Back in the 70tys or 80tys Con Expo was in Texas. At that time a rumor was flying around New England that one of the pit owners had bought a machine from Cat.Suppose to have had a 25Ft blade,closed circuit TV to see blade, and I thought they refered to it as a D-10 - The rest of the story pretty much fit that "D-16" He supposedly bought one, at the show - but it never showed up - they claimed it had to many problems and Cat stopped production. Was this thing ever seriously considered for production? This guy was known for his Tall tales,(which I have always it was) But on the orther hand if he thought it would work and be profitable- he would have tried one.
Cat with 25 foot blade?????????? Hi, OneWelder. It is entirely possible that somebody purchased a Cat with a blade around 24-25 feet wide in the 1980's but I doubt it was an experimental 'D16' or any other machine larger than a D11. There were several blades made for the original D10's and the D11's that were around that sort of width, mainly for coal stockpile work. I ran a D11N fitted with a 24 foot wide, 9 foot high coal blade. It sure did block out a fair bit of scenery in front of the tractor. It also moved a bit of coal in each pass. Other than that, I know nothing 'cos Cat, for reasons best known only to itself, (LOL) does not consult with me on its various research projects.
Any idea who that was that supposedly bought it?
sorry to drag up an old thread, but i heard a rumer that there is a "D12 prototype" of some sort heading over to WA soon, anyone know of CAT developing one yet?
I think Cat would have made D12, D13's to compete with the 575's but its really a small market (for now). I think if Cat thought they could make a buck they would do it. That said, machinery has been growing in size, not shrinking, so who knows what the future holds. Personally it think it would be neat to see one, even better to run one.
there may be an uncreasing need for a large sized dozer as some sites down here are starting to run autonomas haul trucks with require the use of backhoe spec diggers hence sitting on a blasted bench which needs abit of prep to work thought someone may know of something in the pipline
It won't be long and all the D8 size and up will be electric like the D7. Just a matter of time. That D7 seems to be working out pretty well now from what I understand. Look for the D8 next!
I believe the D10 is the next intended machine to convert. Even though I have heard the D7E is working well, I hear they're having issues selling them That's based on the purchase price being as high as it is, and the fact that contractors aren't seemingly able to charge as much as a D8, for a D7.........even though it will do almost as much work as a D8. So they seem to find it a better option to buy a D8 and be able to charge for it.
Don't know where this came from, but the next E was going to be a D6 but it's been shelved for commercial reasons. There are no 8, 9, or 10 E's in the pipeline, and no D 12 of any complexion. The 10 was never in the frame for electric drive.
I think one way or another you are Mistaken...... Future Dozers in a particular size may or may not be electric drive but there is a future model in the pipeline!!!!
D13? Oh my God. D12, yes, D14, yes. D13 gotta be bad luck. Anybody know of any company building anything and labeling it 13 anything?
That came from the pictures I have seen of the D10 electric drive test machine at Tinaja Hills. I was told once they proved the concept, the machine would be the next to be released.
I won't say it hasn't been tried in a 10 at some point, butif you read any book about the history of Cat or any other manufacturer, there are a lot of interesting photos of test beds, concept machines and prototypes that were never intended for production or were merely used to test a concept. I'd be interested to see this picture of a 10E, if it's available. Cat793, considering how many models and variants of dozer Cat build, it would be more of a surprise if there wasn't a future model in the pipeline. It's interesting that the D6E which has been built, trialled and canned (hopefully temporarily) hasn't been spotted, photographed and broadcast to the world by truckers. Not as interesting as a rumour of a D12, perhaps. Unless you know for sure there is a monster on the way, that is.
I realise there have been, and will be many test beds that will never see public exposure. I was told by the person who showed me the picture, that the smaller dozers were not an area they were going to focus on for electric drive, as it was simply too costly to build small machines with the elecric drive system. Instead, the plan was to focus on larger dozers as they felt the cost could be absorbed more easily. I figure the cost of producing the machines, and the fact that contractors can't pass the extra cost off to the customers easily is likely what killed the electric 6.
It was largely that Cat realised they wouldn't be able to pass the development costs to the customers as the D6 market segment is already competitive. I don't know about over there, but here the D7E is making a good name for itself.
Reminds me of a story my Dad used to tell back in the day: He did a lot of large scale blasting and one time his company was extremely stretched thin with all the work going on.So he hired on this supposed great blasting foreman who just literally got off the boat.My Dad showed him on paper the depth and on center layouts of the holes he wanted done.From memory,I believe it was 8' deep.So after a week of drilling,my Dad comes and checks the holes.Every one is 5' deep.My Dad says to him ''I told you 8' deep,what's going on?'' He replies ''I used a 3' drill and then a 5' drill--3'+5'= 8',no?'' My Dad didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
So this is what the Mayans predicted?
Idon't know a thing about drilling , but tuney ' s last post confused me . Please explain .
I scrapped out a walking steam powered electrically driven tracked dragline in the 70's, saw a lot of the changes being made to Cat from then as the Allis/Fiat Allis and IH/Dresser units died out. Biggest monster I saw work very well was a HD51 Allis, absolutely HUGE on conventional styled rails. Cat came out with the D10 series high tracks not long after I got out of heavy machinery mechanicing and not unhappy I ot away from them. A cripple as big as this would be a rail eating POS, no way it wouldn't be destructive to itself, by the time they get htis big a Letourneau articulated rubber tired dozer or loader does as well if not better.
It's simple really, no matter what you are drilling. If you use a 3' long bit, it drills a 3' deep hole. If you follow it up w/ a 5' long bit, it only drills a 5' deep hole, not 8' deep.
DMiller, Did you say HD51???
Then of course, there was the farmer who hired two guys to put in fence posts. At the end of the day, one guy had put in 25, but the second guy only got 3, The farmer asks the second guy why he got so many fewer than the first guy, and he says, "You should see how much of them he left sticking out of the ground!"
As i can know,i also never heard about the D12 from CAT
I worked in a tire shop several years ago. We sent a part time helper (high school kid) out on a service call one day to pump up a truck tire so they could get the truck back to the shop to repair the tire. He filled the portable air tank from the shop compressor (about 150 psi) but then was just hanging around. We asked him why he wasn't on his way yet. His reply was that he was waiting for the compressor to fill up again so he could get 300 psi in the tank!
He'd never be able to lift it with 300 lbs in the tank...
Sure he could - if he used both hands.....:idontgetit
61BG, could have been a 41, been almost 30 years now, was the most massive conventional rail style dozer I had ever seen.