Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

40-50 wt. gear oil TD/TO

Pixie · 2018-08-06 18:32

I can't find the right oil for my swing motor or final drives. NAPA and the diesel repair places don't have it. An internet search failed as did a search of this forum. I feel like it's a really stupid question but, where the heck can I get it other than Cat ? Thanks

Replies15
  1. #1walkerv2018-08-07 00:17

    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FHQ85305

  2. #2walkerv2018-08-07 00:22

    As far as internet search goes type in to4-30 , or 50 it can be had allover the place , i prefer to stick to name brand oils . Where i previously worked we ran castrol products trans c30 and transc 50. At my current employer it is mobil trans 30 and 50

  3. #3Nige2018-08-07 01:57

    Look for an oil that meets TO-4 specification, then pick your required viscosity. Agree with the comments above regarding using named brands.

  4. #4Pixie2018-08-07 05:25

    Thank you both for the replies. Napa had a 30 wt but the Cat manual says 30 wt. is only good up to 77* F in the swing motor so I skipped it because it's rarely that cool out this time of year. They had no 50wt. I really want to change the final drive oil, also. Guess I'll get them to order something.

  5. #5Nige2018-08-07 06:22

    I wouldn’t exactly class NAPA as a named brand but hey ho.....

  6. #6Pixie2018-08-07 18:24

    I ordered Mobil from Summit racing. Napa was going to have to order something, too, so it wouldn't be thier 'brand'.

  7. #7bunkclimber2018-09-18 12:57

    I got my TDTO spec lube from PPC Lubricants in Baltimore..they can blend to whatever spec you need. Im sure there's a lubricants wholesaler in Concord that can help you.

  8. #8TVA2018-09-18 13:57

    Any truck dealer would have T50 in buckets, that’s what they use in the transmissions, I think you can find T30 there too!

  9. #9John C.2018-09-20 10:52

    So what is the brand and size on this excavator?

  10. #10walkerv2018-09-20 11:16

    According to his profile a 1996 grey market cat 307

  11. #11John C.2018-09-20 11:20

    I don't recall any special oil needed in any of the components for those machines.

  12. #12Nige2018-09-20 12:31

    All the OP was looking for was TO-4 SAE50......

  13. #13John C.2018-09-20 14:07

    All those that I have worked on used gear oil with no problems. Also all those in that year range were gray market and came with some kind of really smelly fluid we called fish oil. I don't know what the book calls for but there should be no problem sourcing fluid for those components. Also, Cat does is not in the oil business anymore. The Cat brand is just on the container and not the oil.

  14. #14d9gdon2018-09-20 21:13

    I thought Mobil made their oil from the beginning. I knew that Cat did a lot of petroleum research and design back in the early days of the company but I did not know that they actually made it.

  15. #15John C.2018-09-20 21:48

    I've seen people at the local dealer service shop getting their tanks for engine oil filled with Delo 400 multiple times while putting Cat branded oil on the invoices. Seen the same thing for hydraulic oils.