Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4024t John Deere engine

southernman13 · 2017-02-09 06:17

Looking for a good used engine. Are these rebuildable engines? I have one missing on 1 cylinder. Not sure thes issue. It has new fuel system but has been swimming twice. Runs super good on 3 cylinders hehe. Thought if I could get a good used one I'd swap it out. Thanks

Replies16
  1. #1Tractorguy2017-02-09 23:44

    They're definitely rebuildable. But have to be machined due to cast in block design and clocking the pump units on the fuel rack can be one touchy task. I'd try to find one running but those pump units aren't the greatest design. Maybe look into a swap if it's all mechanical.

  2. #2southernman132017-02-10 11:16

    It'd be nice to swap out for a mechanical motor but I wouldn't know where to start. That's probably a lot more work than I want to do hehehehe. The fuel system may be hard to deal with on these engines but this one never had an issue till it went swimming twice. If I were to pull the head do I have to disassemble the injectors form the head or can it be left in place. Just wandering how difficult it would be. I may have someone that can do the job rather than me mess with it. It's a nice little unit and I'd kinda like to have it for a spare if I could get the engine sorted out.

  3. #3Tractorguy2017-02-11 13:08

    Yes, depending on what you find is wrong you don't even have to pull the head to access everything. If you have a fuel rack that's runs along the pump units it's a little tricky to time everything back but just take your time to grasp the procedure. Can't pull pan or pistons with engine in machine though.!

  4. #4southernman132017-02-11 13:46

    Tenfo. I think if I were to pull the engine I'd have a hard time not totally dismantling it and completely rebuilding it rather than just fix it. Like your said though depends on what's wrong with it.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2017-02-11 15:21

    Check the push rods on the suspect cylinder 1st.. I've seen more bent PRods on that engine, than any other engine in my life..

  6. #6Tones2017-02-12 04:29

    I'm with the pumpguy. you may end up with a crook injector pump or a smashed turbo when a piston comes out the side of the block.

  7. #7southernman132017-02-12 06:42

    I did replace one of the p rods. It was bent but just barely and that didn't do it. I haven't tried an ir gun on the exhaust manifold to see what f that would show which cylinder is not firing.

  8. #8kshansen2017-02-12 10:50

    If you don't have an IR gun handy squirt a little oil on the manifold and run it a bit to get it warm. The one that the oil does not smoke on is the dead one. Then once you find the dead one you could swap injectors and see if problem moves to another cylinder.

  9. #9southernman132017-02-12 19:49

    Tenfo I'll try it. I just checked it with my infrared scope. But it ran to long before I got to look at it. I'll try again in the am with my son cranking it up and me looking. I'll try the oil as well thanks

  10. #10southernman132017-02-27 18:37

    I finally spoke with the dude that worked on this engine. He replaced on pump not all if them. The engine is only running on 3 cylinders. The one closest to the rear isn't firing. He replace the fuel rail and apparently there's a fuel rail guide that goes through the block just in front of the aneroid valve. I don't know what he did but one of the little screws or spring pins or whatever broke he couldn't get it out of the block. He put a machine screw in through the side of the block I guess for the rail to ride on. I can seethe rail looking down through the top of the head. It looks to be in place but not rally sure. If it is in place can I replace the pump on that cylinder. Not sure if the pump is bad or out of time or what. Could be injector to I guess. I can get proper tools and check to see if pump is pumping. What is the procedure for replacing the rail guide that is broken? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

  11. #11dan j cassidy2021-10-04 14:56

    where is the fuel inj pump a cat 4024t engine. it is on a jd ct 322 and how do i get at it thanks

  12. #12thepumpguysc2021-10-04 15:07

    Under the valve cover.. If u don’t have a service manual DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.!!

  13. #13dan j cassidy2021-10-04 15:25

    well ok i was wanting to check the fuel solenoid cuz it won't start and want to see that the fuel solenoid ok any ideas. it wont start except for a few seconds

  14. #14thepumpguysc2021-10-04 16:05

    If memory serves, it on the front of the engine close to the valve cover bolted to the head..??

  15. #15mg23612021-10-05 05:34

    Close. It is mounted to the top of the front timing gear cover next to the thermostat.

  16. #16southernman132021-10-05 06:13

    Maybe your seat and or seatbelt safety switches?