Hopefully this post is in a spot that finds someone who can help me out on a couple things. Recently, I purchased a 40h JLG boomlift. There were a few issues with it, some that were fixed easily enough, but two that are still somewhat of a mystery to me as I am not too familiar with the mechanical or electrical components on this piece of equipment. The controllers in the baskets that control the swing and up and down were not working (it did work on the ground controls). I checked and rechecked connections numerous times and finally was able to get the up and down to work. I was able to flip the Creep toggle and was able to get it to go faster up and down. Now, I was also able to get the swing to work, but it is really slow. Almost as though the creep toggle was on low, or off, but it is not. Any suggestions on how to get that faster? Also, right now I cannot run the machine on gas. It runs on LP, but chokes off when put to gas. There are 3 fuel filters on it (2 before the fuel pump and 2 after). None of the filters have any gas in them. The fuel pump is brand new too. Not sure if there is a crack in the line somewhere, and if there is, would that not allow any gas to be "sucked" up?? Sorry for a lengthy post, trying to give a clear picture as to what is happening and would very much appreciate any help anyone could provide.
Welcome to HEF Dave77. :drinkup I'd need more info on your machine to be certain, but most likely you machine has PQ controllers for boom up/down, swing, and drive. It could be just a matter of adjusting the controllers for proper operation, could also be a faulty controller. As for running on gasoline, if it dies from fuel starvation when you switch it to gas, most likely you have a Ford LRG423 engine with a Zenith carb. If the fuel pump is working properly, problem may be anti-diesel solenoid on carb is either stuck, failed (bad coil), or not getting power. Unless you use the machine every day, I'd stay with propane, this damn alcohol gasoline we use nowdays is nasty for carbureators.
Thanks for your response! I did see that the controller has 4 set screws on the side and will try to adjust. I also saw a previous post about how to adjust. I will also check the solenoid you mentioned and see if that helps. Do these machines run pretty efficiently on propane. I used to use the machines a lot when i worked construction but never used one with propane long enough to know if it was a costly option. Do youhave a ballpark of what a new controller for the swing would cost if it for that far. I did switch the wires with the up and down to see if anything was not working before the connection for the swing. Was nothing wrong that i could tell. The up/down operated the swing just fine. Normal speed, not slow. Thanks again for your response.
I used quality toggle switches for the steer and travel on my 40f. Works fine. Make sure to get the rubber switch weatherproof boots