Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help, jcb 540 telehandler issues!!

eldominicio ยท 2014-08-08 19:45

Hey there, New to the site. I am having a few issues with a jcb 540 that won't start. Customer was backing it out of the shop when he stopped to shut it off and shifted it into neutral. He said it felt like it was still in reverse but shut it off anyways. now he can't get it to start. Turn the key on all the dash lights do the regular thing. I came over to look at it, all fuses are fine, even the ones at the battery. I had replaced the column shifter since it was somewhat broken anyways, still no start. It's like there is a safety lockout happening as if it wasn't in neutral or the park brake on. I can start it by crossing the starter no problem, and even when I do that I still have no trans control, no fwd or rev. I've dug around in the harness trying to find something rubbed out, no avail. Please, any suggestions?? Thx a bunch!!

Replies1
  1. #1eldominicio2014-08-08 22:30

    Hey everyone, quick update. Ended up digging into this a bit further and solved my issues. There were a few things I found. First were the four pin relays that are under the dash accessed through the dash side panel at the door. Started testing those individually and found all of them to be hashed and shorting out completely. Once those were replaced there was still a dead short on the top relay circuit which ended up being a rubbed out wire hidden nicely behind the fuse and relay panels against the front cover. After that found the two fuses that were burnt as a result and it's up and running now. Pulled the old shifter apart and found the detent spring to be broken in a lot of pieces, a few of which ended up against the micro switches and their contacts. Possibly the original cause? Anywho, hope this helps out others Cheers