Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

410 Backhoe no functions after replacing high pressure main pump

Budwin · 2025-04-15 00:58

I have posted my 410 hydraulic issues in the past and have decided to split my hoe and replace low pressure transmission pump and also replace all clutch parts and rebuild engine while i have engine out. My 410 was purchased with a bad cylinder and I purchased a full rebuild kit for the engine. I only replaced one piston, sleeve, head gasket and oil pan gasket. My hoe ran and operated excellent until one day i noticed that my hoe was traveling slower each time I attempted to move a bucket load of dirt. I pulled the main pump and found one "piston "/ cup had seized and the top of cup had cleanly broken off and was stuck in pump. I decided to replace the pump instead of rebuilding. Two pumps later I have gone from just a transmission/speed/traveling issue to having nothing working. I have replaced and rebuilt everything but the valve packs for hoe and bucket and have, of course, replaced oil and all filters, flushed all i could. My decision to split the tractor and replace the transmission pump is because I have done everything but...I have read countless forums concerning the 410 and have not read much if anyone replacing the transmission pump. My conclusion is that I lost low pressure feed to the main pump and starved the main pump causing it to sieze. I also believe that this is my continuing issues with the 2 new pumps I have tried. Yes, I primed the new pumps, removed the solenoid and even replaced it with a "bypass " supplied by pump manufacturers and have only gotten sporadic, minimal movements from stabilizers. I have always went above and beyond with my maintenance on my hoe and I am out of any other possible answers. I have literally painted the parts that I have pulled and either replaced or rebuilt so I would remember which one's i have addressed, more than once/several times. I have countless hours in all of my seemingly endless attempts to get my hydraulics working again. I have even offered triple time pay to anyone that would help me with my issues with me doing all of the actual work, on several sites and cannot get anyone to even reply to my ads and I live in the country surrounded by farms with equipment. Yes I've spoken to several farmers also, with no luck. Would appreciate any ideas or suggestions from anyone. Thanks, Bud...the desperate one.

Replies7
  1. #1mg23612025-04-15 05:42

    Do you have charge pressure? No mention of the suction screen. Did you remove and inspect that?

  2. #2Budwin2025-04-19 09:36

    Yes, I have checked the screen, and again, have gone above and beyond concerning maintenance. I have split the hoe and have found that the clutch has1 spring missing and the other 3 are broken!!! I googled the question if this could/would effect the low pressure feed pump, and the answer was definitely, yes. Is that a correct answer and should I be looking for something else? Would appreciate any information that anyone could provide me concerning this new issue that I have found.

  3. #3Sberry2025-04-19 10:03

    There is a valve adjustment you are missing. I forget which one but external on the right side, as I recall it doesnt center correctly but,,, its been a while.

  4. #4TheIrishStone042025-04-19 10:09

    If you put any time on this machine since your last repairs have you pulled the filters, cut & squeezed them to see if you have any significant metal accumulated in them? If it’s a mechanical failure, it will show up in your filter again. If it’s a seal or sealing problem in a component, gauges will tell you the condition of that. I’m not familiar with that machine.

  5. #5TheIrishStone042025-04-19 10:38

    Does the front bucket functions work? Are you completely sure you have the air out of the system? Checking to make sure you have system pressure is a must.

  6. #6Budwin2025-05-01 00:21

    Sorry, it's been a while since I have done anything more with my hoe or checked the site. To answer the question asked about that bucket working, that is a no, nothing has worked since buying and changing out 2 different main pumps. I did get a little movement out of the riggers a couple times after rebuilding or replacing just about everything on the hoe. When I say "a little movement ", I mean that they maybe moved a few inches, but never picked up the machine or moved more than a minute or so. I could never get them to repeat the movement again, even when I primed the system/pump again and did the exact same thing, nothing different. Again, the hoe had ran great, controls where always quick and responsive, no leaks and it traveled /drove as it should.....until it didn't. I had been working it, as usual and had no issues until I was driving to dump a load of dirt and noticed that it was slowing down and finally would barely moved, so I shut it down and decided to check things out, starting with the removal and break down of main pump. The rest you know. I found that one of the cups top had seized and broken right off the rest of the cups, but no other signs of scoring etc, etc, which was enough for me to decide to replace the pump. I am going to replace the clutch assembly, of course, but wondering if I should go further into the transmission, or not. I don't believe I have ever mentioned that I did have issues with the transmission not wanting to shift between gears while traveling without grinding. I believe that was always that way from the time I purchased it. I would lower the RPM's way down and just start out in 2nd or whatever if I was going to have to shift due to traveling any distance. I very, very rarely traveled anywhere where I wanted to get into a higher gear all my work was being done on a 5 acre parcel 99% of the time. Sorry so long, but don't know what else to do but explain everything! Thanks again, hoping for some guidance about how far to go with transmission.

  7. #7Budwin2025-05-01 00:28

    Would like to know more about the adjustments suggested please. Forgot to ask, but if the clutch springs, etc were totally shot,which they were, the transmission wasn't engaging, correct? I have worked on vehicles, and everything else for 50 years or so and have never spent so much time and effort on anything in my life!!! I love wrenching and learning but this is like beating your head against a wall!! It's gonna go back together and I have no thoughts of giving up,so.. Thanks again