Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

410 john deere backhoe wont throttle up

buddy40744 ยท 2015-07-05 11:08

When I first start it up it will throttle just as good as allways then in about five min even with the pedal to the metal it will only idel. I've checked all the lines got a tank of new fuel replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump so what do I do now

Replies13
  1. #1hosspuller2015-07-05 14:12

    Check the throttle linkage to the pump...

  2. #2lantraxco2015-07-05 15:24

    If it's not a linkage issue then the fuel return line from the pump, and/or the check valve fitting on top of the pump that the return line connects to is plugged up. If the check valve has small bits of brown or black fibrous material in it, your drive disk is coming apart and you will need to get the injection pump repaired. There's a spring and I think a glass ball in the check valve, #9 in the picture.

  3. #3buddy407442015-07-05 19:44

    I have allready changed the coil in top of injector pump ill ck the vaul now I can work the throttle with my hand at the pump and it still just idels so its not linkage. So what do I try next???? Thanks for all your input I'm a lost dog in high weeds here???

  4. #4buddy407442015-07-05 20:28

    The one thing I can't get past is it will throttle up and has plenty of power when I first start it and when it stops working I can let it set awhile then it will work for another fifteen min or so look like it would work or not work all the time I keep thinking I hate to dlo a 1100 %ollar rebuild then find out it was something simple ???just hoping??? Here in london ky thanks again for you input on my problem??

  5. #5Delmer2015-07-05 22:52

    Like lantraxco said, the plugged return explains all your symptoms. If you take #9 out, and start it and it runs right, then put #9 back in and it doesn't rev up, then you've proven it's bad. See what's plugging it and you'll know whether you have to rebuild it. It could be a plug in the fuel supply too, did you remove the tank and/or inlet screen?

  6. #6hosspuller2015-07-06 00:13

    I had the same problem as you. Lantraxco was right with his guess on mine. Do as Delmer & Lantraxco have posted. If you take the pump off, a rebuild is about $450 + shipping. Important ... there is a procedure to take the pump off to maintain engine timing.

  7. #7buddy407442015-07-06 18:49

    Ok thanks very much its so good to findly talk to some one that knows I just got back home about a hr ago from the lake that's where the backhoe is took the line off and cleaned the ck vaul and you was so very right it run better than it ever has sents I got it. So much more power and now I can get some much needed work done around the cabin ... and anyone with this same problem should check this first before spending lots of money working on the wroung end ...again thanks very much for your help and brains with out you it would still be down and id spend a thousand on getting the injector pump exchanged or maybe more

  8. #8lantraxco2015-07-06 18:56

    It's just experience, we've been there done that. Not to burst your bubble but the only way that check valve can get crud in it is for something in the injection pump to be coming apart. Go ahead and run it but it will probably do the same thing again soon, if it does, look around for a good pump shop, ask for a couple references, and schedule the time and money to get the pump repaired before it comes unglued completely inside. On the other hand I hope I'm wrong and she runs good a long time! :drinkup

  9. #9buddy407442015-07-06 19:17

    Your probley right. This all started when a friend of mine ran it low all most out of fuel. I fiklled it then changed the fuel filter witch looked to have never been changed looked as if part of the fkilter mat. Was missing sol I started cleaning lines and put a new fuel pump; on it in the cleaning I. Took the line off tank allso got all kinds of junk out of it and plenty out of lines to the injector pump I'm hoping that the stuff I got out of the vaul was just from the dirty tank and fuel but even if I have to replace the pump maybe it will run long enough for me to get the work done at the cabin and get it back home. Hopfully it will be easer to work on here at home .... thanksso much for taking the time to help me and maybe I can be a help to some one now becouse of you .... here in London Ky thank you very much ...Buddy

  10. #10Delmer2015-07-06 22:33

    With what you're describing there could have easily been something plugging up the return fitting besides the pump parts. If it plugs again and starts dying then you can take a picture of the bits that come out and hopefully figure out if it's the pump fibers or fuel tank junk.

  11. #11lantraxco2015-07-06 23:04

    Yep, if the filter was left so long it collapsed and part of the paper and other junk went through, that indeed could have caused all your troubles. I tell people never to assume anything and just did it myself, one assumes nobody would let a filter get that bad or that the machine would continue running if it was! LOL :drinkup

  12. #12telwood2015-07-10 22:22

    I have the same machine and my fuel pump works but leaks. It appears the leaks are at the point the linkage meets the pump but since the linkage is on the back side of the pump I can't really do much to pinpoint where the leak is. Is this a typical sign or point it needs rebuilding or are there adjustments if I remove it. Oddly it doesn't seem to leak when I am running it and once in awhile not when it is turned off. Thanks, Tom

  13. #13Frick2015-07-14 13:32

    My 410 started doing the exact same thing. Start, run fine. Wouldn't come off idle. Eventually, it got to where it would run for a minute or so then die as if it ran out of fuel. After 5 minutes or so, it would start again and do the same thing. I ended up removing the fuel pump and sending it for a rebuild. The tech at the pump shop said this style of pump wears (I think he mentioned a governor?) then builds pressure internally which causes it to die as if it ran out of fuel. He said it's a common failure among older, high hour pumps. As previously stated, it's a ~$500 repair.