Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB Extra dig Cylinder problem

MACJUNKYARD ยท 2015-07-05 11:11

I have a 1400 series JCB backhoe with a leaking cylinder-It's out on the bench with the piston out but the nut holding the packing is frozen-My manual says it's 300 ft.pounds but it doesn't say if it's right or left hand threads-I've repaired several of the other cylinders but I can't remember which it is-I may need to heat it up to break the seal-HELP Please-TOM

Replies6
  1. #1lantraxco2015-07-05 15:15

    I can't say for sure, but in over thirty years of working on all manner of hydraulic cylinders I have never seen one with left hand threads anywhere. YMMV. At 300 ft/lbs you should be able to knock that loose easily with a breaker bar and 8 pound hammer.

  2. #2d4c24a2015-07-05 15:17

    have you removed the grub screw

  3. #3lantraxco2015-07-05 15:30

    Oh right, doesn't JCB love to hide those under a seal ring? Forgot all about that.

  4. #4d4c24a2015-07-05 15:52

    yes and the fitter who came to do a seal on mine under warranty forgot ,and that was the end of it once it had been bent in situ ,had to have a new ram

  5. #5MACJUNKYARD2015-07-05 16:35

    Hi;Success;I heated it up quite a bit and broke it loose with a big pipe wrench and a 8 foot bar-Thanks for the comment--Tom

  6. #6lantraxco2015-07-05 18:32

    Well done!