Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

410C bushing job, questions

nicetoy ยท 2013-02-23 10:19

Hello, I recently scored a Deere 410C for an upcoming house build. It was a steal at 5K, but naturally has some maintenance issues to take care of. Runs like a top, and I confirmed with the Deere dealer that serviced it that while it reads just over 1000 hours, it in fact has around 11000 hours. The dealer also confirmed that at about the 9500 hour mark they replaced the entire motor, and hydraulic pump with brand new factory crate parts. That said, the guts are mint, and it needs various hoses, clean up, wiring and pins/bushings to be an unbelievable deal with the $5000 I paid. The biggest issues right now, is the hydraulics stutter a bit. There are a few leaks, mostly steering and swing cylinders. The stutter feels to me like a lower fluid/filter issue. I havn't gotten around to checking on that yet. And the big one is the pins/bushings in the hoe, the one that concerns me the most is the top frame to swing tower bushing/pin. it is egged out, and there is nothing left to the bushing that was there at one time, the hoe unfortunately looks like it was heavily used, and infrequently greased. I am readying to pull the whole hoe off, and start replacing every pin and bushing I can. Does anybody have a 310/410/510 that might be able to take some close up detailed pictures of those frame to swing tower pins/bushings so I can see what it's "supposed" to look like? Also, any tips for removing the backhoe piece by piece? Anybody know how much that Dipper Stick weighs? I figure I should pull the bucket, pull the bucket cylinder, have the hoe stretched all the way out so it's close to the ground making it easier to work on. I have much smaller Ford 1710 with loader that I can use to assist, but the lift capacity with that machine is limited as its a 3500# to 4000# machine. Any advice, tips would be very helpful. Thanks, in advance.

Replies15
  1. #1Delmer2013-02-23 11:59

    JDparts.com has exploded views of everything you need. You need to sign up to get prices but even then most of the prices (of the stuff you need) won't be available online. Just get the numbers online and call your favorite deere dealer for prices. That said, don't go ordering parts until you have it apart and know what it's going to take to fix it. The correct fix for the egged out bushing is likely "line boring", look it up on here there's lots of threads. To replace all the pins and bushings, I'd lay everything on blocks, don't risk trying to handle anything other than the bucket with a small tractor. On the other hand, if you're looking to build a house, not spend a year restoring a backhoe, you can always weld up the egged out bore so it will hold the new bushing and go with it. I'd extend the bucket out and lay the complete boom, dipper, bucket out on some solid blocking then inch the machine away from it (jacks, winch etc, not starting it up) If you're going to reseal the swing cylinders, I can post a pic of the jerry rigged tool I used to get the gland loose, mine has four angled notches cut out, not the one with round holes.

  2. #2nicetoy2013-02-23 13:00

    Can I pull those swing cylinders with the swing tower and backhoe attached to the machine? I imagine the leaking is occuring most likley because of the down pressure on the seals cause of that egged out bushing mount. Right now my goal is to minimize downtime with the machine and get the hoe in reasonable working order for use digging stumps in the spring. I can deal with the loosey goosey loader, but the hoe is bad... I searched and there is a mobile line boring service reasonably close to me... Since I'm not a commercial guy and making money with this machine, i'm grossly affraid at that cost...

  3. #3Delmer2013-02-23 14:28

    Mine's a 610c so yours may vary. I believe there's enough room to drop those cylinders with the boom in place, but I took the gland and rod out and left the cylinder in place. How bad is the leaking at the swing? are the rods worn, scratched or pitted (you might see the top of bottom of the rod is polished different than the rest, thats from wearing on the metal in the gland)? and how much slop is there? my swing is by far the worst for slop, and it's the one you notice. But there's a lot of pins and bushings to tighten up the side to side slop, so mine is going to stay the way it is for the relatively little work I do with it. If yours is really egged like you describe, it may be best to remove the boom and at least get a good look at it, and either fix it right, or weld it up and forget about it. After you price all the parts to tighten up just the rest of the swing, you may be able to take the grand or so for the line boring (WAG, no idea on price of line boring)

  4. #4nicetoy2013-02-23 14:33

    there is def side to side slop, but what really bad is the up/down slop, from where the swing tower attches to the frame, not to the boom.

  5. #5nicetoy2013-07-02 10:38

    Well I got the backhoe all off, and mostly repaired. It was ugly and I had to bring in a mobile fabricator. While there are still a few pins that should be replaced (in time) It should get me to work on my property. Here are a few pics. Old Frame to Swing Tower Mount with fresh bushing.

  6. #6RayF2013-07-02 10:51

    I can fix that for you. Drop it round to my shop

  7. #7nicetoy2013-07-02 10:53

    Ugly elongated mount, look at the gap. Same upper mount cut off frame of Parts Machine

  8. #8Jimbo2013-07-02 10:55

    Wow, that's one of the worst greaseworm infestations I have seen.

  9. #9nicetoy2013-07-02 10:56

    Mobile fabricator cut off old frame mount, found loads of slag pockets and poor prior welding. New mount welded on. Looks MUCH better!

  10. #10nicetoy2013-07-02 11:00

    I welded on a 32" Thumb. Used my trusty 1710 to help get the Boom, and Dipper pinned back on. Now Just need to add a few cylinders, and bucket and she'll be ready to dig!

  11. #11nicetoy2013-07-02 11:05

    This whole thing has really delayed my building project, but I am finally moving. Time to get Stumping.... Got about 2 1/2 acres clear cut with the help of a new toy :

  12. #12Delmer2013-07-02 12:08

    That's not just egged out, that's double yolker dinosaur egged out. Good thing you found a parts machine for that one.

  13. #13nicetoy2013-07-02 12:24

    While the fabricator cost me nearly $800, better knowing it was done right, instead of me winging it, and worry about my welds vs. materials metalurgically speaking. Luckily the guys whom had the parts machine only charged me $75 to cut off that mount.

  14. #14nicetoy2013-07-02 12:26

    All in all I'm now into the machine about $8,200... Time will tell if it was worth buying a basketcase with low hour motor and hydro pump VS buying a machine that was mechanically sound.

  15. #15nicetoy2013-07-08 19:37

    All Back together!!! And working nicely.. A little slop, but definitly homeowner worthy The swing tower to boom pins need to be changed, and will likely tighten it up a bit .