Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

410e Fuel Problems

bway1341 ยท 2013-03-10 15:02

I am working on my 410e it starts and run fine at low and high idle. Once u put it under load it starts dieing and cuts off then want start for an hour or so then starts and same thing. New filter and blew line out and prims fine but usally when i prime a fuel system it gets harder to prime but this on get firm then nothing like i am moving no fuel I am thinking transfer pump. Just wanted opnions. I wish i had a way to check fuel pressure at the house. no leaks did find 2 and fixed but no change also cracked injectors while running and seemed fine each injector cut out as expected. ?????????????????????:Banghead I hate changing part with out a for sure problem with compoent

Replies8
  1. #1Delmer2013-03-10 21:13

    Assuming you have the same transfer pump with the priming lever that I have on an older Deere. The priming lever on the transfer pump should start firm, and get soft as the pressure builds up. or to put it another way, start with full firm stroke and then only have resistance on the last bit of the stroke as the pressure builds up. One way to check the transfer pump, is to hook the supply to an outboard tank, and see if it still dies under load. If the suction side hisses when you open it up right after it dies, then pull the strainer out of the tank. If there's a 1 1/8" fitting that the fuel hose comes out of, that unscrews and lets you remove the plastic mesh strainer, mine clogged up and collapsed.

  2. #2joeblow2013-03-10 21:57

    Check the fuel cap.It has a bronze air vent that plugs up and creates a vacuum in the tank.When the thing quits take off the cap .you should hear a little sucking sound.

  3. #3bigboytoy2013-03-14 08:01

    This problem sounds familiar. It took a while to figure it out. There is a return line that goes back to the injector. at the injector there is a tiny brass check valve with a tiny opening that is getting plugged. If clean the check valve and try again it will indicate you found the problem. I believe with age crud is returning from injectors. The fix will only be temporary. Mine needs new injectors but until then I installed an inline fuel filter for a fix.

  4. #4joeblow2013-03-14 22:28

    There is no orifice in the return lines from the injectors.That diesel is what the injectors don't use and it should go back to tank.Itt really sounds like a fuel supply problem from. A plugged vent on the fuel cap or a suction line sucking air.will cause exactly the problem you are having.

  5. #5bigboytoy2013-03-15 06:52

    I have a 1983 JD510b it has a return to fuel tank also. My injector for my 4 cylinder engine has 5 lines to it. The fifth line keeps it flowing properly by breaking the vacuum? when its plugged it idles fine but dies when it is revved up or under load. But I did not have to wait an hour to start it, that would indicate an overall flow problem.

  6. #6hookedondiesel2013-03-16 03:13

    The return line seems to go back to the injection pump. If your "sure" there are no leaks, I would say your IP is going.

  7. #7bigboytoy2013-03-16 08:35

    the check value is part of the injector #9

  8. #8thepumpguysc2013-03-16 08:53

    Remove side cover #19, hold a clean paper towel under it to catch/screen the fuel that comes out..if there are small black pieces on the paper towel, your flex ring is gone and the pump needs to come apart to fix. easy diagnostic, requires 1 flat head screwdriver and some paper towels.. good luck.