I'm health related retired from my previous general construction company. I have a 416B w/ clam, extenda-hoe, 4wd. Machine has been sitting for 7 years. Just went through fluid changes and new batteries. I was graveling my driveway and about 20-25th trip to gravel pile, the front bucket arms stopped working. Clam works, bucket rolls both ways. All other hydraulics work. Linkage all in place. I can roll bucket and the open clam to raise arms. Arms act as though they are in float position. Any ideas on what has happened??? I owned the company and operated any of my iron, but I'm not a mechanic. HELP....416
I'm new to this forum. In reading responses from "Nige", I am wanting to send him the question above. How do I do this?
Start with a Serial Number. Always good. Actually there are members on here that IMHO know far more than I do about backhoe loaders....
8ZK06675 S.N. Model: 416B
Nige, this is my first time on this forum. Do you know who I might contact to try and find out about this problem?
You've posted it in the public area. I'm sure one or more of the members will stop by and express an opinion. You have to remember that most of them have day jobs and so it might take a little while for them to reply. If you're not a mechanic there doesn't seem to be much point in posting the Hydraulic Schematic, but I can if you would like it.
I would like to have a Hydraulic Schematic if you would send me one. Nige, I used Case hoes when I was in business. I had CK's, B's, E's, K's, L's, M's and SM's . Never heard anyone bitching about a "resolver" I've had "valve bodies" give problems in different Hoes, Excavators, Dozers, Loaders, etc,, and as I said I was just the idiot who owned the iron and stayed busy keeping folks working, but I was **** as a mechanic. What is the process of the "resolvers" vs. what I know as just control valves in valve bodies?? Sorry to be so stupid about this, but I'm just trying to get my ass out of the house with only 30% of my lungs still working from all the damned blood clots over 12 years of them. Wife is dying from cancer, and I need to get out and do something useful outside of the house. Thanks.
The fact that the machine is 30 years old, and the history unknown, I'd like to know: Any noise change when selecting up/down? Any movement of the hoses at all, when up/ down is requested? Since the boom "floats", I'd suspect a cylinder piston came off a rod. Isolating the cylinders would require orfs caps and plugs, though.
Here's the Hydraulic Schematic. Also one for the electrical system because at some point you're probably going to need it.
I am with heymccall. If it was a bad resolve or something it would probably work when you activate the curl and if the valve manifold got stuck in float you probably would feel it in the controls
I bought the Cat 416B S.N. 8ZK06675 (only CAT I've ever owned--always used Case in my company) from a small town here. It has only 4009 actual hours. The guy who operated it is a close friend and he is extremely easy on equipment. It was in the town's gas department. Still has the original front tires, original front bucket cutting edge and it's still 90%, never had but one bucket on the hoe--12" with original teeth. It was used primarily as a "**** ant" machine to and from gas service installations where trencher was used for the 18" deep trenches. All this says the machine still looks pretty new. When I said the front bucket acts like it is in float I meant that when I tried to pick up the bucket to load it in the gravel stock pile, it wouldn't move except with the bucket roll action on the lever and also the clam arm operates perfectly. When I roll the bucket and I then open the clam, it raises the bucket with me pulling back on the bucket booming up cylinders. I can then back away and roll the bucket to "close" position, and the loader bucket stays in the up position until I parked it and lowered the bucket with the down lever, but it would not pick up the front of the machine except when I again rolled the bucket or used the clam opening. I am beginning to believe the 0-ring has gone. There is no change in noise when selecting up / down and no noticable movement in the hoses when up / down is requested. Hope you can give me some more info or suggestions. Thanks.
Can you pick the front wheels off the ground with boom? Roll bucket down, then boom down. If so, perhaps stuck relief cartridge.
Try rolling the bucket until it’s pretty much flat on the ground. Then reverse over some uneven terrain without touching the bucket controls. Does the bottom of the bucket follow the contours of the ground..?