Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dipper Drifting Down

styxplo ยท 2019-01-09 00:43

I have a Case 580k old style and the dipper is drifting down with the stick centered. Is there a trick to figure out if it is the cylinder or the valve. From the hydraulic schematic it looks like there is a check. Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1Ronsii2019-01-09 01:14

    lots of different ways to check things by either switching hoses around from different cylinders or capping hoses on the cylinders... or hooking up pressure gauges/flow meters... etc...

  2. #2Welder Dave2019-01-09 01:45

    Most of the time it's cylinder seals. Is there any weeping on the rod where it comes out of the gland nut? That could be an indicator the internal seals are probably worn as well.

  3. #3Tinkerer2019-01-09 10:58

    You are saying with the stick (boom ?) centered. The boom position should not be related to dipper cylinder drift. I would get a complete kit and reseal the cylinder. It probably needs it anyway. If the problem is no better then it is prolly the valve. The lever is totally in the neutral position right when the dipper drifts right ?

  4. #4styxplo2019-01-09 14:27

    Thanks for the replies.... Its not really weeping at the gland. I was thinking it was blowing by the piston. I just didn't want to tear the cylinder apart only to find it was the valve leaking. Tinkerer.... I should have been more clear when I said stick I meant the control lever is centered (its not sticking or anything, it spring return to center just fine) Thanks

  5. #5franklin22019-01-10 09:17

    Have you guys ever noticed a leaking cylinder runs hotter than one that is not leaking internally? I have seen that before, but didn't know if it was common enough to be used as a troubleshooting method.

  6. #6Ronsii2019-01-10 09:40

    Yes, they can get hotter.. a flir camera will show it up good or any cheap temp gun can work it's just not as simple.

  7. #7Glen Weldon2019-01-10 10:29

    Or discolored paint where it has been scorched.

  8. #8Billrog2019-01-10 10:57

    Run the cylinder in question so the relief valve is activated then just feel the end of the cylinder the pistons at it will be fairly warm if the seal is leaking. This way of doing it works best when there's 2 cylinders involved because you can compare the 2 for temp. dif.

  9. #9styxplo2019-01-10 15:13

    Ok. Thanks. I will try the temperature difference method.