Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

416b issues

BigTree ยท 2014-12-28 21:26

Hey guys. My 95 cat 416b. I'm having some small issues that I would like to fix. I do have a service manual, the wiring diagram is laid out much differently than I am used to in the automotive world though. 1. Most gauge faces are faded, hard to see through. If I rub some water on them, it is easier to see through but definitely not perfect. Unsure if I can remove the face and Polish both sides? 2. The tach does not work (is always at 3500) and the fuel sender works once every week or two is what the previous owner told me. 3. Apparently there was a power issue, when he tried to use 4wd, that system would lose power, one set of lights turned off and the neutral button on the bucket control stopped working. He told me the main power wire was on voltage so he cut the wire and spliced it from another source. Im trying to find that wire in the huge diagram page. There are some other small issues that I'm working one (water leaks from the roof, no stereo, needs better lights, cylinders leak, etc) but hoping for some assistance with these. Thanks so much for all. I will attach some images of the gauges and power wire that was cut and taped.

Replies12
  1. #1BigTree2014-12-28 21:43

    Ah! Of course just as I post this I think I may have found what I was looking for. It appears one relay controls the power for the neutral switch, front drive, lights and gauge lights. The main relay. I believe I just found the relays under the gauge clsuter near the fuse box. Should be easy for me to figure out now!!

  2. #2clintm2014-12-28 21:47

    that's normally the way it works

  3. #3Shimmy12014-12-28 22:19

    Yeah, my 446B was the same thing. Comes from years of wiping the dirt off. Only one we could read was the hour meter. My guess would be the glass is a lost cause? Maybe some of those headlight rejuvenators might give them some life?

  4. #4AllDodge2014-12-29 10:26

    Have had same issues with my other equipment. The rejuvenator as Shimmy1 mentioned may work but I just replaced the gauges. Also found to keep the gauges covered from sunlight when not using them and they will last much longer

  5. #5D Grade2014-12-29 18:19

    If you really want to reclear the lenses for the gauges, you'll need to break em apart obviously. After you do that, you can start with a 1000 grit sandpaper, then 1500, then 2000, then 2500, and then a glass resurface pad or 3000 grit sandpaper (do it all wet, not dry). Then use rubbing compound and they should look like new. If you want to help preserve the look, shoot some clear coat over the glass.

  6. #6Delmer2014-12-29 19:09

    To get the glass out usually involves prying back the crimped on ring with a small nippers and needlenose. Then when you put it back together it has a charming hand crimped look to it. The fuel gauge can be diagnosed by taking the wire off of the sending unit on the tank, check the gauge, then hook it to a good ground and check the gauge again. The gauge should read full one way and empty the other way and that means your sending unit is probably the problem, if no change in the gauge then the gauge or wiring is suspect.

  7. #7BigTree2014-12-30 01:39

    Thanks alot guys!!! Really appreciate the gauge tips. I'm not sure what they are worth but I'm guessing $100+ per. So I'll spend time cleaning em up. The fuel sender is a very simple system like you were saying, just one wire that works off of resistance from the sending unit. Check to make sure the gauge has a good power and ground first than the signal should be easy. Thanks a bunch guys!!

  8. #8hookedondiesel2014-12-30 07:02

    Hey BigTree, lets see a picture of that big Cat.

  9. #9AllDodge2014-12-30 08:41

    With your serial number we could look up the cost of gauges

  10. #10BigTree2015-01-04 19:24

    So I did manage to trace the wiring diagram and the wires. There was a connector on top of the transmission that comes from the alternator that was corroded. I needed to pull the floor mat and some floor panels to get access. It's in pretty poor shape under there. Going to need some summertime love. I'm going to attach a picture of the hoe and the connector. I bypassed the connector instead of replacing it.

  11. #11AllDodge2015-01-04 20:07

    Glad you found the issue. Ya know taking the same connector (when new and clean) and applying grease to the pins this would probably not have happened. Moisture, air will corrode about anything

  12. #12hookedondiesel2015-01-05 07:23

    You can use those "trailer hitch" wiring connectors, they only have 4 pins, but get two of them.