Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

416B transmission rebuild video needed.

rick miller · 2025-07-08 17:05

My 416B 5PC10553 with a 6Y2598 transmission has a difficult time getting into forward gear. Slowly got worse. Reverse tap shows 140psi in gear, system pressure is 160, but drops to 80 in Forward, with 25psi on the forward tap. Found a section of gasket in the oil screen. Looks like the broken gasket gap is letting the pressure drain to the tank. So I need to take it apart and rebuild, but need some guidance, preferably a video. I'd be very grateful if you can send me a link.

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2025-07-08 17:36

    I think the best you are likely to get is an illustrated extract from the Disassembly & Assembly Manual. Videos are not so common.

  2. #2rick miller2025-07-11 15:21

    Thanks for the manual Nige. Starting to look like the problem is in the control valve. Will use compressed air to find where it goes. Oil was drained.

  3. #3Legdoc2025-07-11 18:26

    Nige and others have been a big help for me on my 120H transmission issues. I plan to subscribe to SIS and can get a discount on the first parts order. You will be grabbing your ankles when you have to buy OEM Cat parts with no quality aftermarket equivalent. I have watched most of the YouTube videos on the subject out of curiosity, most of which appear to be in the Indian subcontinent. All I can say is those people work in the most horrid conditions basically doing everything with nothing. I don't think I have seen one machine put totally back together and go to work but I guess they do at some point. I am probably facing a complete tranny job and I'm considering making a video of it. Also, welcome to HEF!

  4. #4rick miller2026-01-29 13:49

    Thanks for that manual, managed to take it apart and replace clutch packs and syncros. Wondering if you know where I can get one for my front drive transmission as well. It is very hard to figure out how it was even put together. Want to replace the clutch pack and seals. 6Y2003 is the part number for the case, which reads Spicer 8KA 67188.

  5. #5Nige2026-01-29 14:22

    Do you mean the transfer case.?

  6. #6rick miller2026-01-29 16:15

    Thanks for the reply, sir. The transfer case marked E on your first page.

  7. #7Nige2026-01-29 16:45

    I don’t see any D&A instructions for that particular case. I would have expected them to be in the D&A for the transmission but they are not.

  8. #8rick miller2026-01-29 17:13

    Do you have any for a slightly different case? Might give me a hint on this one.

  9. #9Nige2026-01-29 18:46

    I searched everywhere and came up empty. Your only hope is that someone who has personal experience with these transmissions will chime in. The only other possibility is a Spicer document but I have no access to those.

  10. #10Nige2026-01-29 18:59

    The attached is from a 428B. It may or may not be similar, I have no idea.

  11. #11rick miller2026-01-30 10:34

    Thanks, the 428 is very similar to mine and this helps greatly. Thank you again!