Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

416C HYDRAULIC TANK LEAK

DGODGR ยท 2021-06-15 09:44

I have a 97 CAT 416 that I've owned since new. It currently has +/- 13,000 hours on it. I have been told (by local Cat dealer) that the hydraulic tank is cracked and needs replacement, and that the job is extensive (cab off!). IIRC the dealer wants about $4k for this repair. Does anyone have experience with this and can guide me through it? Is it something I can attack myself (I've replaced the brakes on this machine 2x in the 13k hours I've owned it)? Thanks!

Replies19
  1. #1Nige2021-06-15 11:54

    Is the hydraulic tank metal or plastic.? if it is metal then a welding repair might be possible depending on the size & location of the crack. Got photos.?

  2. #2heymccall2021-06-15 15:53
  3. #3heymccall2021-06-15 15:55

    I pulled this from another site. It shows the rank in front of radiator, which leads me to believe this is for wrong machine.

  4. #4DGODGR2021-06-15 21:46

    Nige, The tank is plastic. heymccall, That looks like an "A" model or a "B" model 416. Right now I wish it was a "B" model as it would be pretty easy to replace the tank-which I probably wouldn't have to do since it would be metallic instead of plastic anyway! It also would have been easier and much cheaper to replace the $2 snap ring, on the all-wheel drive shaft of the trans, that failed back at 6k hours (external shaft, similar to a PTO on "B" model vs internal transmission component, requiring trans removal to repair, on the "C" model). I started out with a "B" model 416 but the dealer took it back (on trade for the subject "C" model) due to some weird hydraulic issues that they couldn't resolve. "Newer is always better" seems to have missed a generation. I really shouldn't complain though. Over all it has been a great machine in the 13,000 hours of service thus far. Mine is a first generation "C" model (cir. 1997) with 4ZN as prefix for S/N (in case it will prove helpful). I'd bet that they have the "C" model 416 in SIS. I can give you the entire S/N if you need it.

  5. #5heymccall2021-06-15 22:11
  6. #6heymccall2021-06-15 22:16
  7. #7DGODGR2021-06-16 08:26

    Thanks heymccall! Does your source offer a time estimate for that job?

  8. #8Nige2021-06-16 09:26

    That's the SIS procedure for removing & reinstalling the tank. The "how to" if you will. With the cab having to be removed first (and the rear wheels need to be removed before the cab can be tackled) then some fairly serious lifting tackle will be required.

  9. #9pepesm322025-07-26 13:24

    I have a 2000 416c backhoe with cab. Is the process the same? Do I have to remove the cab in order to get to the hydraulic tank?

  10. #10pepesm322025-07-26 13:25

    Video of leaking tank.

  11. #11Joe H2025-07-26 13:43

    Sure sounds like fun. Plastic tanks suck, especially English plastic tanks. They can't make anything that doesn't leak, why do they think they can bond metal fittings into plastic? Joe H

  12. #12Nige2025-07-26 15:52

    Post a machine Serial Number please. On the basis of that the R&I procedure for the tank on your specific machine can be located.

  13. #13pepesm322025-07-26 16:05

    Cat 416c sr# 4zn19491

  14. #14pepesm322025-07-26 16:05

    Sr#4zn19491

  15. #15Nige2025-07-26 16:10

    See the attachment. There is a fair amount of lfting work to do before you can get access to the hydraulic tank. Procedures are the same as the one above. You will need a fair amount of lifting tackle.

  16. #16pepesm322025-07-26 16:19

    Thank you.

  17. #17pepesm322026-01-19 21:16

    Will the leaking hydraulic tank cause the system to suck in air

  18. #18Welder Dave2026-01-20 04:17

    Depends where the leak is.

  19. #19Rpsrental2026-02-11 17:52

    I have read all the responses. Looks like a major project. With the closed cab and all.