Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tire gash

Case Jon · 2021-06-15 22:42

So, just bought a used backhoe. Case 580 Super K. 1992. Unfortunately, I missed the gash in the front tire during my prebuy , (coincidentally, it was on the bottom both before and after my test drive). do they make any type of repair glue that will keep out dirt/stones so I can get a bit more life out of it while I wait for the new tires to come in? Just driving around for practice. Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1Ben House2021-06-15 22:53

    That's not bad.. You should just use it until you can get new tires.. I've seen farmers run around with half the tire missing and just the tubes keeping the backhoe up!

  2. #2Case Jon2021-06-15 23:04

    Thanks!

  3. #3joe--h2021-06-16 00:28

    10 or 12 ply tire, it's good for a long time. Joe H

  4. #4hookedondiesel2021-06-16 06:58

    Fill it in with liquid rubber, let dry.

  5. #5Finca SDR2021-06-17 20:14

    I've worked with tires like that every day for months. Then when it blows get a vulcanized boot inside and keep working. I only get rid of them when the beads won't seal and then tubes keep going flat cuz the tire slips on the rim and rips it. But that tire looks new still

  6. #6skata2021-06-17 23:47

    I've squirted some 2 part epoxy into tire gashes with mild success. It's quick and cheap.

  7. #7Welder Dave2021-06-18 15:59

    Be glad it's a front tire. You know how people have bought used machines and wished all they had to do was buy a new tire(s) for it?

  8. #8Tinkerer2021-06-18 16:53

    Goop brand marine grade silicone. It is the toughest silicone I have ever used. Unbelievably tough !

  9. #9Welder Dave2021-06-18 18:33

    Just Goop it on. LOL

  10. #10hookedondiesel2021-06-19 07:00

    Bandaid

  11. #11Tinkerer2021-06-19 13:18

    If you are waiting for new tires to arrive and you are only "driving around for practice", just ignore it.