Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

416f cat backhoe IVS code

GUNNER88 · 2020-04-22 11:25

I have a 416f cat backhoe sn#ksf I have code for pedal sensor 1&2 But the troubleshoot doesn’t show any test for actual sensor. Has anybody had issues with the pedals or do you think it will be in the ivs configuration

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2020-04-22 14:17

    Full Serial Number please and what Codes exactly do you have..?

  2. #2GUNNER882020-04-22 15:18

    558-2 accelerator pedal #1 intermittent erratic 2970-2 accelerator pedal #2 intermittent erratic 3510-4 sensor supply voltage #2 below normal KSF01255 I replaced the foot pedal and still nothing. The trouble shooting for IVS has me really confused.

  3. #3Nige2020-04-22 15:25

    If I knew what IVS meant it might help............ I've sent you an Electrical Schematic (which you'll probably need) and the procedure for testing the 3510-4 Code (sensor supply). I believe that might be the root of your problems. Once I dig them out I'll send you the other two procedures as well.

  4. #4heymccall2020-04-22 15:41

    I didn't know either. From here... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAFegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2a0JsQ450DzyMed-wPEjW7

  5. #5Nige2020-04-22 15:44

    I thought it was something to do with in-vitro-whatever............ At that point I thought it was better not to ask...!!

  6. #6GUNNER882020-04-22 15:53

    Yes . Idle validation switch. The troubleshooting for it is exhausting and confusing. I’m going to change out the second sensor and see what happens.

  7. #7Nige2020-04-22 16:13

    I can see it being a battle if you don't have Cat ET to enable you to look at what various parameters are doing.

  8. #8GUNNER882020-04-22 16:18

    I have cat et but the troubleshooting procedure is confusing. It’s hell navigating through the computer as it is.

  9. #9Nige2020-04-22 16:27

    I dunno. I've read the IVS Valivdation procedure I sent to you and it all seems pretty straightforward. Lengthy maybe, but fairly straightforward.

  10. #10GUNNER882020-04-22 16:43

    Ok. The wire jumping confuses me, that’s where I’m stuck, what harness do they want me to jump?

  11. #11Nige2020-04-22 18:20

    This is why I sent you the schematic. The "truncated" schematic in the Troubleshooting Procedure used to explain the control logic is not always a faithful representation of what is actually on the machine. Go to Grid D-6 on page 7 of the schematic. There you will find illustrated the harness two connectors for the hand and foot pedal throttle sensors. Pull apart whichever is the appropriate connector for the Code you are troubleshooting. I've shown both the connectors opened up in the illustration below. Install the jumper wire indicated in RED between Pins D & F of the machine harness connector so that you are connecting the relevant wire (C968 PK or L972 BU) directly to ground. The logic that the ECM works on is that it either sees or does not see ground via the relevant IVS. By jumpering Pins D & F you are forcing the ECM to see ground - UNLESS there is an open circuit somewhere in a harness. NOTE: Opening up one or the other connector WILL create other Codes. You can ignore them, they will go away as soon as you reconnect the sensor to the machine harness.

  12. #12BigWrench552020-04-22 19:28

    There is essentially 4 throttle sensors. 2 on the foot control and two on the throttle body. Assuming that the schematic I'm looking at in this post the top (356-0794) is your throttle body and the bottom (363-8407)is the hand/foot control. If you were to back probe the return wire (pin-b) and back probe the signal wire (pin-a) you should get a reading of 0.5v - 4.5v depending what position the throttle is. And you will see the opposite voltage sweep on (pin-d) and (pin-f). This will be true for both foot/hand control and the throttle body. The best way I found to verify if both are good is to ohm out those wires while slowly operating the foot/hand control and slowly manipulating the throttle body open to close. If you have a problem with either you will get a reading of O.L. or sporadic number jumping on your meter. The idle validation switch is built in on both devices. It is set up to see the opposite of what the position is reading. So if your position is reading 3v then the validation needs to see 1.5 volts. This is verified 4 times through the e.c.m. Basically so that you aren't driven into a wall at wide open throttle when in reality you just took your foot off. I hope this makes sense and helps. Good luck.

  13. #13GUNNER882020-04-23 11:18

    Wow. This makes perfect sense now . Thanks nige. Worded that really good. I will run these test this afternoon. Thanks my guy!