Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

420D IT FNR selector

CM1995 ยท 2013-04-18 20:41

I have an 420D IT BLN 5200 series. It's been a good tractor and a workhorse but today I had an issue, sometimes it won't go into forward and then it wouldn't go into reverse. This has happened sporadically over the last week, with it not going into reverse more than not going into forward. This afternoon it wouldn't go into reverse at all but would go into forward. Removed the FNR selector handle to see if there were any contacts that might be worn or corroded. The unit is sealed on the electronic side with the other 1/2 of the unit consisting of the handle and the paddle switch. Replacement part from Cat is $510 for the unit. Is this a common failure in the D model backhoes or could it be something else? I don't want to start throwing parts at a problem trying to find a fix, especially when the part is $500 bucks. Of course we are in the middle of a rush job and the machine is down. Any help will be very much appreciated.:drinkup

Replies13
  1. #1Bob/Ont2013-04-18 21:24

    Do you ever have a problem getting the starter to crank? Ran into an intermittant problem like that and it was the shifter. How about the neutralizer buttons on the hyd and shift levers? not likely but a thought. If they are open it will not drive or crank the starter. I hated throwing a shifter at it but haven't seen it since. Later Bob

  2. #2CM19952013-04-18 21:39

    Thanks Bob. No problems with the starter or neutralizer button on the gear shift. Tractor cranks fine and all other functions work as normal, just won't go into reverse. Intermittently over the last week it alternated between not going into forward and reverse but with a little coaxing it would shift. Today it I couldn't get it to go into reverse.

  3. #3grandpa2013-04-18 21:58

    Had the same problem with my 420D also, only as Bob stated it would also not start at all times.. my Cat mechanic said try the shifter, would save me a service call if it worked. Downside is Cat doesn't return electronic parts so its a call you get to make. Call it the downside of being in business for yourself. It worked for me and I'm not much of a gambler. If it doesn't work at least you have a new one in parts.

  4. #4PAcattech2013-04-18 22:10

    CM1995 sent you a private message

  5. #5DGODGR2013-04-19 00:21

    I recommend pulling the floor pan so you can access the solenoids at the top of the transmission. I'm not sure if they are the same as the 416 that I have so I can't tell you which solenoid to check with certainty. I would imagine that, since it's a D model that you will also have a solenoid, or more than one, for the shift selector, and (1) for the 4x4 engagement (assuming you have it). I have the repair manual for my 416C so if they are the same I can fax the pertinent pages. If you can locate the solenoid I suggest that you determine if it is getting the proper signal telling it to activate in the proper direction (circuit tester, or better yet multimeter so you can also check voltage). If the solenoid is not getting signal I suggest that you start tracing it back to determine where the signal is getting lost. If it is getting signal, and the solenoid is not working, the solenoid may be the issue. If it is getting signal, and is activating correctly, you may have an issue inside the transmission. To check that you will need to access the pressure ports and have some better help (then what I can offer) to determine the correct trouble shooting procedure. Again, if it is the same as the 416C transmission/torque converter, I may be able to get you information from the repair manual.

  6. #6CM19952013-04-19 08:46

    Thanks DGODGR. It has to either be the selector or the solenoids. If the selector wasn't so expensive I would have ordered one yesterday as the one one in question is original and 11 years old. It's on the control side and not the mechanical side of the transmission as I could get it to engage in F and R after cycling the selector. When it first starting acting up it was F that didn't want to work, then R and yesterday I couldn't get it to go into R no matter the jiggling of the selector. 4x4 and everything else works fine. Rained out today so I'll check my options, thanks PACattech.:drinkup PM replied. I need to have this machine running Monday.

  7. #7CM19952013-04-19 20:37

    Ordered part #261-2207 which is the improved transmission selector that replaced 174-1660. When I checked the part online through Cat's website, it showed 174-1660 was $510, luckily the replacement is only $300. Grandpa I am a gambler and rolled the dice, I'll pick it up Monday. It will be here tomorrow morning but I'm going to the Plains tomorrow to see my Tigers play A-day.

  8. #8DGODGR2013-04-19 21:08

    Did you test to see if you were getting a signal, from the old reverser assembly, to the solenoid?

  9. #9CM19952013-04-19 21:26

    No I didn't. I know I run the risk of throwing parts at a problem but we are busy and I am betting (with a gut hunch) that the selector is the problem. The way it was malfunctioning, alternating between not going into forward or reverse with no pattern, tends to tell me its the selector since the failure of this component is common. I'll find out Monday and be the first one to tell if my gut is wrong - won't be the first time.:tong

  10. #10Bob/Ont2013-04-19 21:47

    I think you did the right thing CM, electronic parts are hard to make sense of some times. They will work and not work intermitantly often. Later Bob

  11. #11CM19952013-04-22 19:34

    Picked it up this morning, the improved part # for $330. Installed it and she's going in reverse again.:drinkup Thought about painting some numbers on the side and getting sponsors but the need for reverse was more important.:tong

  12. #12grandpa2013-04-22 20:12

    Lucky gamble..... better head to the casino tonight....lmao

  13. #13CM19952013-04-22 20:43

    :tong Closest one is 1.5 hours away... Luck'll beat a shotgun.