Taking bucket OFF the backhoe. spelling error in the Title Ok, I'm a total Newb to this. Obviously the Pins have to come out to release the bucket but is there a procedure as to how to position the bucket on the ground before pulling the pins so there's little strain on the pins or so it doesn't rock? Is there an Order as to which pin to pull first? I'm talking small buckets so I can manhandle them but it would be nice to know the 'easiest' way to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAtIqkdp1QI this guy is better than I am, but you see he has a thinner rod in the one he's putting on. I like to replace one pin with a rod then pull the other pin, then the rod is easier to get out than the last pin.
Those pins must have some helluva slop in them go come out and go back in that easily ............!! It's also a great deal easier the lighter the bucket is. Try doing it that way with one of our 20-tonne Hitachi backhoe buckets ........ Personally I'd do it the other way round. With the bucket on the floor the pin for the bucket curl linkage comes out 1st, then the bucket pivot pin comes out 2nd. Then installing the replacement bucket the pivot pin goes in 1st, followed by the pin for the linkage. Also the first couple of times it might be easier done as a 2-man job with one person on the ground and the 2nd on the levers. However if you do it that way make sure the person on the levers is well aware that under no circumstances does he move anything unless the person on the ground tells him to. Mis-communications doing jobs like this are how people lose limbs.
I'm dealing with an 18 and 9 inch bucket so I can man handle them OK. I was impressed that when this guy pulled the Pins on the first bucket, it didn't move. Not too much weight on the pins and the bucket wasn't hanging in the air. I figure when you pull the Curl pin the bucket would drop a bit. I never thought to put one pin in and then lift and manipulate the other linkage as the bucket hung.. might try that. Thanks for finding the Youtube..
I've got a Wayne Roy quick attach and I can't do a swap much faster than that guy. LOL
With the bucket off the ground teeth looking downward you can see the point where there is no pressure on the dipper pin and the bucket is sort of floating, that pin slides right out. Replace it with a concrete stake or a small rod. Then just curl till you see the bucket is at its balance point and pull the rear pin right out. I've switched buckets on 300 excavators and backhoes with no problems.
I will try this next time.. With my brand new , heavily greased Pins and buckets... things were tight. The guy in the video must have a bit smaller diameter pins because even with my 'light' buckets and me being able to wiggle them around, I had to take a large wooded dowel and smack them out and back in.