Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

420e

dan blas ยท 2014-06-01 17:58

:I have a 420e caterpillar backhoe everything works great, with the exception of , it doesn't shift into 4th or 5th gear... it doesn't slip or any thing just don't shift any higher than 3rd gear. Any suggestions ???

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2014-06-01 19:09

    Serial Number would help. There are 7 different S/N versions of the 420E, each with a myirad of options. Even the S/N prefix would help narrow it down a little bit. Let me see if I understand what you're saying. You take off and upshift to 2nd, then 3rd, then the transmission doesn't want to shift any higher than that, correct..? Are you using Autoshift or shifting manually..?

  2. #2Mobiltech2014-06-01 22:21

    It should only have 4 gears I think.

  3. #3Mobiltech2014-06-01 22:30

    It should only have 4 gears I think.

  4. #4Nige2014-06-02 09:06

    The Autoshift transmission for the E Series backhoes has 5 forward speeds, that's why I asked the OP for a Serial Number ............

  5. #5PDG X2014-06-02 09:08

    Standard shift tranny will have 4 gears, AutoShift tranny will have 5 gears when in auto mode, 4 when in Powershift mode.