I have a starting problem that is gettng worse.Over the last little while it is nearly impossible to start when hot,it turns over but doesn't fire.Sometimes it will fire for a second or two then die.At first I thought it was the fuel shutoff soleniod,because it seemed like the hold in windings didn't like heat,and when the machine cooled off it would easily start again.Today I changed the solenoid,the problem still persist.I can start it cold shut it off ,try to restart immediately after,nogo.If I wait10-20 minutes it starts again.I tried swapping the relays around but nothing changes,becuase I'm sure this is electrical,and temp related.I also noticed there is a fuel shut down module which looks like there might be a circuit board inside.when the mahine wouldn't start I tried cooling that with snow but i didn't get the immediate effect I wanted,I still had to wait 15 minutes before the restart.BTW no smoke when cranking,and full tank.sorry for the long post.
Does it use an external shutdown solenoid with some form of linkage?
the soleniod bolts to the injection pump and has a small plunger that moves when energized.i.e. its internal
A couple of thoughts I have would be put jumper wire from battery or starter post to fuel solenoid at the moment it shuts down and see if it will run. I would also put a volt meter probe on the positive terminal of solenoid at cold start up, note voltage. Then when it quits, check voltage again and note any change. If there is a large drop in cold/hot voltage, I would start going back through the circuit searching for the cause of voltage drop.
I'll will give that a try as soon as i can find a helper ,thanks
I got lucky,I phoned the service manager,he phoned the factory.Seems the fuel shut down module is an option($350.00).Bypass the module by plugging directly into the fuel shutoff soleniod and vroom,vroom,beep beep outa my way!I can't imagine spending money on the shutoff module to replace it,1100hrs and it fails.BTW 800 hrs parking brake assmebly piled up,and the wiper motors are all defective.