Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Fluid out of 277B Engine Compartment

Jordon ยท 2011-04-19 15:20

Does anybody know any tricks for cleaning lots of hydraulic fluid out of engine compartments? Our 277B blew a hydraulic hose last week while I was spreading #57 rock. The hose blew inside the engine compartment and the engine, muffler, everything got soaked. Luckily I noticed and shut the machine off before things got out of hand. I want clean the hydraulic fluid out before I start working again. I know we've got some real thinkers on this forum...

Replies4
  1. #1Lee-online2011-04-19 18:04

    We pressure wash after soaking with a degreaser. Don't wash a hot engine with cold water. it can shock and damage the injection pump. Pull the small access covers to let the debris leave the engine compartment.

  2. #2Jordon2011-04-19 19:14

    Thanks! Can you recommend a degreaser? I was thinking of using Simple Green.

  3. #3Lee-online2011-04-19 19:26

    We use some kind of citrus cleaner at work but i have always used Simple Green at home. Cheap and easy to get.

  4. #4xcmark2011-04-20 11:32

    purple power or castrol super clean , you can get it at walmart. carefull on nice paint , used full strenth some paints it will etch the shine! best grim cleaner I have found. Pour it in a spray bottle full power and use rubber gloves (it will burn your skin if its on it for more then a few mins). spray areas you want clean and let it soak in for 5~10 mins , keep wetting that area dont let it dry and pressure wash off .