Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

426 transmission problem

Hat six · 2018-10-25 08:22

Cat 426B s.n. 5YJO1225. Shuttle from forward to reverse got slower and slower then the machine quit moving. Backhoe was never low on fluid

Replies9
  1. #1heymccall2018-10-25 10:07

    And, when was the last time the transmission filter got changed? Can you test transmission pressures? 6E-0924

  2. #2Hat six2018-10-25 19:05

    Thanks for the help. As soon as I pulled the plug to drain the tranny and saw the magnet was full of shavings I knew it wouldn’t be good. I pulled the pickup screen and even more shavings. I’ll be looking at an overhaul. Thanks again

  3. #3Hat six2018-10-26 07:30

    heymccall would you mind sending me that schematic so I can print it Thanks for your help [email protected]

  4. #4Nige2018-10-27 10:32

    Here you go. It's in 3 parts.

  5. #5Hat six2018-10-28 11:29

    Tore the tranny down and found torque converter hub shot and a main shaft with twisted splines. The question I have, since it’s a spicer transmission does a guy need to buy the parts from cat. THANKS AGAIN for all the help.

  6. #6Tinkerer2018-10-29 08:32

    I have had good luck with buying parts from Joseph Industries. https://joseph.com/Class_list.asp?Brand=Caterpillar+Heavy+Equipment&Type=Transmission+Kits

  7. #7Hat six2018-10-30 07:59

    Thanks Tinkerer, I’ll give them a call

  8. #8Mrwyoming2023-04-17 22:54

    Hey Mccall, I am having the same issue with the same machine although mine is still shifting forward and revers, it takes about 3 full seconds to engage. I replaced tranny flilter, but no luck. how do I pressure test transmission?

  9. #9Mr Fred2023-04-19 07:46

    Kinda like the same issue with my neighbors except his oil is clean and screen is clean. His has about 120 psi forward and zero reverse and tractor will not move. Looking for answers too. Thanks. Test port on to of the unit is where we checked pressure.