Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

450 Case

Dave Neubert · 2021-11-13 07:29

I'm working on a 450 putting the head on it has been off for a few years so the socket head bolt that goes in behind the water pump is missing any one know the length of it I know it is 3/8 coarse thread . I have a parts book for a 585 forklift it says the bolt is 2 inches but it looks like it should be short. the dozer is 30 mile away so I would like to get the right size the first time around

Replies6
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2021-11-14 22:21

    I found it in the 580C parts diagram at mycnhistore.com it is 3/8x2" NC socket heat bolt.

  2. #2Dave Neubert2021-11-15 07:44

    Thanks

  3. #3melben2021-11-15 14:11

    Dave, it was common practice to not put that bolt back in, it is a drilled bolt that acts like a recirculator and also keeps the engine from air locking on antifreeze fill ups. I have done dozens over my career and see no difference in the engine operation. If you choose not to reinstall that bolt the head can be removed without disturbing the water pump, fan and radiator, just the 3/8 bolts that screw into the front of the head need removed and they are easy.

  4. #4Dave Neubert2021-11-15 14:49

    Thank you the head was off when I was called to work on it I was wondering why i could not find it in the bolt bucket

  5. #5stubborn12021-11-24 11:44

    Another great reason for not using that bolt is not having to loosen it when you retorque the head! That's what the service manuals want you to do, what a PITA.

  6. #6Dave Neubert2021-11-24 15:24

    I left it out