Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

450 Case dozer hydraulic fluid

304thomas55 · 2020-09-08 20:07

I know I've seen what hydraulic fluid goes in the Case 450, but I can't find it. So can someone point me in right direction as to what hydraulic oil is used in my 450 dozer ?

Replies15
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2020-09-09 21:46

    The oil that goes in the 450 is Case TCH which has changed to Hy-Tran Ultra you can get it at your local Case dealer. There are other off brand oil but you have to be careful of what you get. Some oils will dry your cylinder seals out and shorten their life. Check your classification numbers on the bucket. An AW46 classification is good.

  2. #2304thomas552020-09-10 04:50

    Thank you. I found some at local Case dealer $117 for 5 gals.

  3. #3Vetech632020-09-10 07:27

    YIKES!!! Did it come in a 10 carat gold bucket?

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2020-09-10 08:26

    That’s what I was thinking

  5. #5304thomas552020-09-10 08:40

    Lol... I didn't ask but you see why I'm looking for alternate

  6. #6Welder Dave2020-09-10 10:38

    AW46 is straight hyd. oil and TCH/Hy-Tran is similar to a universal tractor fluid. Look for an oil that says it meets the Case specs. Just for the hyd's. you shouldn't need anything special. Transmission is where it pays to use the OEM fluid. I've used TDH from Walmart for a hyd. fluid with no ill effects. It has what specs. it meets on the pail.

  7. #7304thomas552020-09-10 17:15

    My thoughts too Welder Dave. I'm going to use Tractor Supply AW-46. Dozer has set for a couple years and I'm going to check my hose connections for leaks. Had to replace pressure hose on blade cylinder first thing when started.

  8. #8John Canfield2020-09-10 17:26

    There is no way I use generic in any of my equipment, having the piece of mind the fluid is manufacturer branded is worth the money to me. Hydraulic fluid and oil is the lifeblood of equipment.

  9. #9304thomas552020-09-10 17:46

    John Canfield you may have a great point. I found this story on internet https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasc...r-supply-smittys-hydraulic-fluid-lawsuit.html

  10. #10Tinkerer2020-09-10 20:32

    That lawsuit involves a 303 hydraulic oil. No one in this day and age should put that cheap crap in anything, ever.

  11. #11Welder Dave2020-09-10 22:51

    The tractor fluid has a better additive package than straight hyd. oil and is recommended for skid steer loaders with hydrostatic transmissions. Hydrostats are a lot more finicky for oil than your system. The oil I get says also for hyd. systems. I think the biggest thing is to buy oil from a reputable supplier. Here's some info I found when researching what oil to use in my skid steer after replacing a wheel motor from this vendor.

  12. #12Donald Randolph2020-10-14 22:45

    We found some fluid but can't find drain plug? Any help locating it? 2 case dealers told us where to look but it is not there. Case 450b dozer.

  13. #13Coy Lancaster2020-10-15 06:13

    If you have a parts book look up the hyd reservoir and it will give you a general location. Should be on bottom of tank right corner at rear of machine.

  14. #14mcprp2020-10-18 11:00

    Coy , I’d like to be able to talk to you on the phone if that’s ok ? Please let me know . I really need to talk to someone that is knowledgeable about 1975 case 450 .

  15. #15mcprp2020-10-18 11:01

    My name is mike !