I am looking for help on a 1964 D6B 44a10764 dozer I have done all required maint. However it still has the same problem before and after. I am not sure if it is the operator or a mechanical problem. 1) The problem is it want pull up a grade of any sort or push a pine cone. So I am thinking I am not putting in it in low gear or its the clutch. any help would be great and much appreciated. I have no manuals and its very hard to find any info so I joined this group hoping to find some help.
Manuals and info you need here.... http://www.tpaktopc.net/d6strcltch.htm
Hi there Check steering clutch adjustments are not to tight and that they are good and dry will no oil on them (I think they are dry from memory) They can be difficult to get right. An easy way to check is to note if one track is pulling more than the other Check also the main clutch may be adjusted correctly but could be worn. - not an easy fix I take it the engine is not underload and is running as it should Plenty of people like Old Magnet on here to point you in the right direction Good luck
pull small plate under feet see if drive shaft turns when stalled, if not main clutch if turns its steering clutchs pull little four bolt cover under fuel tank see if steering clutch is oiley. the main clutch will take about fifty pounds of pull to pull an lock in. if steering clutch has oil on them there are plugs in each side on under side to drain and have put duz cleaner in to dry them up so they would hold.
There are two drain plugs, or at least suppose to be, directly towards the center of the tractor from the final drive drain plugs location. These are to drain water and other things from the area that houses the brakes and steering clutches. I sprayed brake cleaner up in side mine (D6B 44a6026), after about a gallon of water drained out of it. Now if that isn't your problem it may be the wet clutch between the engine and the transmission.