Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

450b steering brakes

CWG ยท 2014-10-29 11:39

Can I replace the brake bands on a JD450B without removing the entire clutch and if so how?

Replies12
  1. #1Labparamour2014-10-29 22:16

    You might be able to roll it out. There is a return spring on the bottom section that you'd need to reach down under the clutch to release. And I'm not sure if there would be enough flex in the brake band and lining to slip out between clutch and housing...brake band is two piece, hinged in the middle. On mine I left the two halves together and pulled it out with the clutch. If that works for you it saves you having to break the tracks. Good luck, DB

  2. #2CWG2014-10-31 11:57

    Thank you, I know I'll need to remove everything on top, once I do I see if I can get to that return spring, here's hoping - thanks again for you input.

  3. #3Labparamour2014-10-31 18:07

    http://flic.kr/p/oWytxz Struggling to post a pic of the manual. Will continue trying.

  4. #4Labparamour2014-10-31 18:22

    Page from manual on steering brakes for a 450B

  5. #5PD Mech Steve2014-11-05 13:41

    Unlikely you'll be able to do it correctly without pulling clutch. The spring in the bottom will be impossible to get at to install I think. If you have other questions or need parts feel free to contact me here in NY. Steve. www.sadygerts.com

  6. #6CWG2014-11-06 09:24

    Thanks for your reply. I was afraid of that, DB hinted back on 10/29 of the same concern, I guess I was hoping someone might have done it without removing the track along with the clutch. Do you happen to know which and possibly where I might get the service manual detailing the process? Thanks again, Have a nice day, CWG [email protected]

  7. #7Labparamour2014-11-06 10:16

    http://m.deere.com/en_US/services_a...atalogs/order_manuals_and_parts_catalogs.page Hopefully this link works. Deere online manuals- pdf files cheapest method. I print the pages I'm using and throw them in a page protector and keep next to me while working. I had to do my clutch and brake so had to pull everything. As you tear into it and get some of the linkage removed try reaching underneath. Maybe someone with thin arms could do it. (Mine are short and fat!)

  8. #8CWG2014-11-07 10:13

    Thanks once again, can you tell me the publication or service manual I need, I went to the link you stated and there's a zillion publications. CWG

  9. #9PD Mech Steve2014-11-07 11:52

    TM-1033 should be the service manual for 450B. Steve. www.sadygerts.com Check ebay too.

  10. #10CWG2014-11-07 14:07

    Thanks again, have a nice day.

  11. #11Labparamour2014-11-08 23:10

    Sorry for the delay. Yes, TM1033. http://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/in...1576&menuDivision=CONSTRUCTION&menuModel=450B

  12. #12CWG2014-11-10 09:30

    Thanks again, down loaded a copy.