Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

450c John Deere crawler loader

450c ยท 2016-04-16 02:52

So I bought this 450c and love it but my ram going to the dipper from the boom will not take greas I'm pretty sure the bushing has spun can any of you tell me the best way to spin the bushing back in to place? Thanks I'm new here and I'm glad to have the knowledge thats available in this site from you guy's thanks again. Pete.:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:cool2:notworthy

Replies6
  1. #1old-iron-habit2016-04-16 06:19

    You might be able to remove the pin and the greese zerk and drill a new hole in the bushing thru the greese zerk hole. If it doesnt take greese or moves again you will have to remove the bushing. I don't remember what prevents the bushing from turning on the JD.

  2. #2d9gdon2016-04-16 07:40

    That bushing is hardened so it's going to be hard to drill. I tried that once, the drill bit didn't even make a mark on it. I think you're going to have to pull it apart and spin it to get the hole lined up. They are just a press fit. You probably need to use Loctite bearing retainer compound or tack weld it to prevent the bushing from spinning again. Then keep it greased.

  3. #3450c2016-04-16 16:44

    Ya tried the drill thing no go and just about everything I could think of. I guess I will pull the pin and bushing dammitt oh well could be worse. Thanks

  4. #4hetkind2016-04-16 18:52

    I would probably order a new pin and bushings first, keeping running the machine, then just rebuild the joint. Howard

  5. #5zbo22016-04-16 23:41

    Try a masonry drill bit.. a good one not a 2 dollar cheapie..... no oil, just drill away. They sometimes work on stuff like that.

  6. #6Metalman 552016-04-17 07:23

    I did some bushing replacement work on the old 941 that I purchased last fall, where the bucket hinges on the lower boom. Turns out that the original bushings were long gone & someone had pieced in some mild steel pipe to replace where the bushing had been, effectively wearing the busing od bore in the process as they were loose on the od, so I had to weld up bore on the loader arm pivots, fit the new bushings the best I could, then ended up end welding the bushings in place, as there was still some play. After spending considerable time on the build up, working with an internal grinder & lots of trial fitting, I ended up with a nice tight job. Put all new bucket pins in as well. Even had to weld up the bin bosses on the bucket as well as they were sloppy. Everything takes grease & works well now.