I have a 2010 Cat 257b3. Was doing an oil change (my first on it) and filled with 2.4 gallons of oil (as callen for by the manual). It barely showed on the dipstick. I have now put 3 gallons of oil in it and it shows about midway between safe and full on the dipstick. I drained out about 2 3/4 gallons of oil at the start and I know it was not over filled to begin with. Is there a possibility I have a larger than normal oil pan? I purchased the skid steel used so have no idea if anything like this was changed out. Or maybe Cat changed part way through the year? I have looked it over and am not seeing any leaks and I am also on a level floor.
I assume you have a machine of B7H Serial Number prefix. If you are taking the quantity of oil for the engine from the table in the Operation & Maintenance Manual you'll see that the Refill Capacities are listed as approximate . Make sure the machine is level when you change oils and fill to the marks on the dipstick without worrying too much about what quantity you've put in there and you'll be fine.
Yes, it is B7H, and yes, I am taking the quantity of oil off the table. I figured I'd just keep adding until it reached the full mark, but I didn't think the approximations on the table would be that far off. Thank you.
AFAIK most of the values are calculated rather than being based on "real world" numbers for the amount of fluid that has to be added, because the manual has to be in print long before the machines hit the dealers. That's why the factory slips the word "approximate" in there to cover their ***. Then after that nobody bothers to amend the quantities based on experience in the field.
Thank you. That really helps to ease any concern.