Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

450CT Skid Steer Engine Wont Shut off?

Chriswayne ยท 2016-01-19 13:48

does anyone have any ideas why the engine wont die when i turn it off? It acts like it wants to but continues to run for up to a minute depending on how warm the engine is. I can start it cold and kill it and the engine shuts off like normal. it seems the warmer it is the longer it takes. I've changed both fuel filters, the fuel shut off syloniod and changed the oil along with the filters.

Replies3
  1. #1trainpilot2016-01-19 15:01

    While I'm not familiar with your particular machine; with a diesel if you have fuel and compression it should run. I would consider engine oil as a possible source of fuel. If it's turboed, a bad turbo seal could cause run on from oil running down into engine from the turbo. Likewise if it's getting oil into the top of the engine from another source ie really bad valve seals, bad rings, or something like that. Does it use a lot of oil? Does it smoke a lot? Did the run-on start right after a service? Is it hard to re-start? This might indicate a bad seal on a filter, allowing the pump to suck fuel out of it. If not these, then I would look again at shutoff solenoid--maybe something keeping plunger from seating or a bad o-ring allowing fuel to get around somehow. Just some thoughts...

  2. #2Chriswayne2016-01-19 16:32

    Thanks for your reply, The run on started before I did the service on it. It doesnt use a lot of oil or smoke at all. Its not hard to restart at all and runs fine. I took off the new shutoff solenoid again, tested it and even stretched the spring out a little but still will continue to run after i turn the key off when the engine is warm. If the engine is cold i can start it then kill it and it will die immediately. Could it possibly something with the coolant temp sensors?

  3. #3thepumpguysc2016-01-19 17:52

    Do as TRAIN says and check those.. unhook the wire going to the solenoid.. IF it has the injection pump I'm thinking.. its a bad Head & Rotor. I've had over 4 in the shop.. the ONLY THING that will fix it is a new H&R.. if its a ZEXEL VE pump.. I HOPE that's not it and its something else..