I am in the process of buying 10 wooded acres next to me that i will need to clear. My neighbors FIL owns the 150 power shift, and has offered it to me for free. Going to look at it in a couple weeks. He says it runs good but the last time he used it (about 2 month ago) something in the transmission started rattling or clanking. So he took it back to the barn and parked it. He went out this weekend and tried to move it and said it wouldn't go in gear. He thinks a linkage might have come loose. Is this possible? What should I look for? I know nothing about track loaders or how the power shift works. I have operated other types of equipment before. I would have to pay someone to haul it 250 miles to my place so I am concerned it may cost a fortune to get it running. Any guidance or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the Forums timinva!:drinkup Unfortunately I'm more the on the business and operating end and not so much on the mechanics end. However we have a wealth of knowledge in our members here so someone should be along to help you out. Best of luck!
I have an international 150 loader. I worked on my powershift and I will tell you that it is a huge job if it needs removed. There are many people on Redpower forum that help with information on those old International crawlers. But parts are difficult to come by sometimes since there are not real dealers anymore for them. My first step if it is not moving and clanking would be to see if the gauge on the dash for clutch pressure is reading? If it is over 150 psi your pump is working. The pump pressure goes through a pressure regulator to power the torque converter (70psi), forward/reverse selector (150psi) , and lube pressure (less than 25psi). Here is the basics... The motor goes through a torque converter then into the powershift which is a set of forward and reverse clutches that lock by hydraulic pressure. The pump is in the bell housing where the torque converter is located. Then power goes through the High low selector to the rear end and then through a set of steering clutches then to the bull gears to the tracks. -"Going into gear" could be the mechanical lever for High and low which but it is just a fork shifter. I would try to isolate items if you are serious about working on it. You need to get pressure gauge that fits 1/8 tap and goes over 200psi. One guy on redpower forum site had powershifter fail because the connector between torque converter and powershift stripped. Clunky sounds I would guess something mechanical... I would be betting on a gear/torque converter/ or that shaft I just described being stripped. My powershift only would not go in reverse and it turned out to be the tube inside the powershift had slid out and blocked the reverse port.
Welcome to the Forums Lonelyposto!
Lonelyposto - Went and looked at the 150 today. Found the transmission was extremely low on fluid and no pressure reading on gauge. Added fluid and bleed air from the pet **** valve on the pressure filter canister. Repeated this process 3 times and now have 150psi and full reading on the transmission dip stick. Got it moving and clanking noise is gone. Pushed up some good snow piles but still getting air out of the pet **** on the pressure filter canister. Owner said it still dose not feel 100% We would run it a bit and bleed air. Must have done this a dozen times and still getting air but he said each time it felt a little better. Should we keep repeating this procedure till we get no air or could it be getting air from the suction side? It runs and steers good, under carriage 50%, pads fair at most. It has a lift cylinder seal and a 4 n 1 cylinder seal leaking. Are the seals still available? And where would i find the transmission filters? I think i am going to grab it and have it hauled to my place. It should do what I need it to do and will be fun to play with. Thank you for all your help. Tim
A hyd. shop should be able to match up cylinder seals. I'm no expert but I don't think you should have to keep bleeding air from it so many times after it starts working. You would think it would work the air out just from using it so it could be a suction leak or maybe an external leak allowing air? Can you see where the oil was leaking?
Welder Dave - No sign of a oil leak. Once we got it full and ran it about an hour oil level stayed the same. Owner is an elderly gentleman and he cant recall ever checking the oil level or changing the transmission filters. He has owned the loader for 20+ years.
Glad to hear it was just low on fluid. Im not exactly sure but where the pet **** is? And my screen really does show astrisk. But I think you are talking about the top of the filter container beside the shifter. I dont think you should have to do that more than once. I think i remember doing that originally. But haven't done it again. So i don't remember what the manual says. yes filters are available. Ill try to post up some numbers monday. Welder dave is right about hydraulic cylinder seals. It has to be sucking air. Most likely it is the radiator type hose with a spring in it that hooks to sump fitting on top of the transmission cover. I think my sump connection have had some brazing around the neck done before i got it. So it is possible it could be a weak part so you could also check for a crack. Fyi. It is one of the most difficult spaces to deal with. There is only that hose, the sump, and suction filter before it goes to the pump. In the suction filter there is a big o ring that i guess could be bad too.
Considering that this is a free machine, it is time to call the lowboy man and get it hauled to your place. Remember to get a bill of sale. Good Luck, and Regards, Clark
150 loader Order 304 101 R91 final fuel filter (306 353 R1) x2 -> FramC1163PL Napa 3080 323 827 R91 Oil Filter -> CH335PL Napa 1151 302 574 R91 Powershift filter (Big filter) -> CH33APL Napa 1133 317 702 r91 Air Filter ->pa1684 -ca228 -2504 napa 328 539 R1 Fan belt powershift 306 658 R1 Generator belt 324 226 R1 Powershift O-ring lathe cut 324 227 R1 Powershift o-ring
Yes the valve on top of the canister in the side panel by the forward / reverse shifter. Called a couple haulers last night on the way home. Hope to have a quote today. Thanks to everyone for all your help. I am sure I will have many more questions once I get it here and start fixing the odds and ends that need attention. Tim