I might have a chance to upgrade from my 450D to a 450G.Doing a search here, I've come across posts that said the G has hydrostatic,direct drive, and torque converter tranny's.I don't think this can be right so someone please chime in that owns a G series and also what you think of her.Absolutely nothing is wrong with mine but I've found a good deal and might make the move.
I have run a lot of different 450/550/650 G series and none of them had the hydrostatic drive.They were just conventional torque converter 4 speed trannies and the early ones even had an inching pedal or you could really call it a clutch as the machine would stall if you came to a stop with it in gear. I remember hearing that John Deere was late coming to market with a hystat for whatever reason so I think the H was the first of the smaller dozers to have it.The bigger Deeres had it earlier however.Ron G
Yeap, he's right. Go with the 450H (if possible). It is a really great machine. We have one where I work, and everyone loves it.
So,the G then wouldn't have counter-rotating tracks then,the H does right?
Hey JD fans! I'm pulling the engine on a 450G and now need to roll the machine back like 2 feet to clear the dash, but it's locked. I guess they have an automatic spring brake that locks. Is there anyway to manually release it? I hate to have to slide it on my floor. Thanks.
G series can be a Direct Drive or Torque Converter, and no they will not counter rotate like a H or J with with a hydrostatic transmission.
This one has the torque converter, that's why I'm pulling the engine. The converter is leaking. So there is no way to move it, huh? After 2 days of beating my head against the wall on this thing it seems like it's giving me the final word... no.
You can back off the brakes by pulling the plugs over the sprocket but I am not sure if those are the brakes that lock the machine when it is parked. A call to a dealer might be in order.Ron G
Well, the dealer knew right off the bat. The adjusters are too tight to back off, but once we removed the lower side covers and put a crow bar on the levers and pulled them back there are a couple of spring loaded plungers that you push down and they will stay when you release the levers. Pretty slick if you can find them in all that greasy mud! It rolls real easy now. Thanks for trying guys...